California Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Kentfield, California
Contemplating starting a business in Kentfield, California? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Kentfield.
Kentfield, California Demographic Information
Kentfield has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Kentfield demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Kentfield.
As a new Kentfield entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Kentfield for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Franchising Opportunities?
As you drive around Kentfield, you may be surprised to see how many franchises there are in the area. But is franchising the right option for you?
Our advice is to consider franchising as an option. We have many articles on franchises, such as Franchise Versus Business Opportunity. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Note on Kentfield Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Kentfield.
Company Formation in Kentfield, California
It's very important that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Doing so will protect you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. Just because you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. In fact, you can incorporate in the state of your choosing. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There's a lot to know about forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Where to Incorporate. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Kentfield, California, our information on Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Raising Money for Your Venture
Getting your Kentfield business the capital it needs to succeed is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
The good news is this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled 504 Loans.
The Art of Selling
Mastering the art of selling is essential if you want your new Kentfield business to do well.
So what does it take to bring in more prospects and close more business? Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
The best entrepreneurs know that they don't know everything.
With your business being located in Kentfield, California, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking organizations for Kentfield entrepreneurs.
Most new Kentfield businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Kentfield and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Kentfield entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Kentfield, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Kentfield.
- Resources for Kentfield, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Kentfield entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for California Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs