California Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in La Canada Flintridge, California
Thinking about starting a business in La Canada Flintridge, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in La Canada Flintridge.
La Canada Flintridge, California Demographic Information
La Canada Flintridge has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for La Canada Flintridge demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in La Canada Flintridge.
As a new La Canada Flintridge entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in La Canada Flintridge for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Should You Buy an Existing La Canada Flintridge Business?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in La Canada Flintridge.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Naming the Company
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Pick a company name that isn't too generic. If you do a search engine search for your proposed name and a billion results come up, you may want to reconsider the name. It's much easier to come up in the search engines when your name is fairly unique.
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Company.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are planning on starting a business in La Canada Flintridge, it's imperative that you check now that no other California company is using the business name you want to use.
Forming a Company in La Canada Flintridge, California
It's very important that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Doing so will protect you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporation is a very common way to legally create a business entity. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. As it turns out, you are allowed to incorporate in any state you would like to. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Incorporating Online. You may also want to seek the advice of an lawyer. Finally, if you are starting a business in La Canada Flintridge, California, our information on Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
The Role of the Business Plan
Creating a business plan is vital to the health of your new business. Simply put, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Starting a business without a business plan
If writing a business plan is on your to-do list, be sure to read Business Plan Contests. A great resource for business planning assistance is the free business counselors available to you through your local SCORE chapter in California.
Where to Get Money to Start a Company
Getting your La Canada Flintridge business the capital it needs to succeed is not an easy task. The reality is that there is very little funding available for new small businesses, and you have to explore every possible alternative.
Take advantage of our many articles on securing funding, such as Getting a Small Business Loan.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Successful entrepreneurs recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
With your business being located in La Canada Flintridge, California, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any La Canada Flintridge networking organizations.
Most new La Canada Flintridge businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help La Canada Flintridge businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in La Canada Flintridge, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in La Canada Flintridge.
- Resources for La Canada Flintridge, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist La Canada Flintridge entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs