Massachusetts Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Lowell, Massachusetts
Need help starting a business in Lowell, Massachusetts? We've got the information you need to open a business in Lowell.
Are You Ready for Entrepreneurship?
Being an entrepreneur is hard work, and can be orders of magnitude more strenuous than working as an employee. Are you certain you are ready to take on this challenge?
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Lowell. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
What Business Are You Starting?
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading How to Evaluate a Business Idea.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Opening an Interdenominational Church guide or our Opening a Lightning Protection Equipment & Systems Business guide.
Remember that your new startup will be located in Lowell. Some businesses will do better in Lowell than others. Only by spending some time analyzing Lowell demographics can you decide if there will be strong demand for your business idea.
Lowell, Massachusetts Demographic Information
Lowell has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Lowell demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Lowell.
As a new Lowell entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Lowell for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Company
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Company names need to be easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and easy to remember.
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Naming a Company.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are opening a business in Lowell, it's critical that you ensure that no other Massachusetts company is using the business name you want to use.
Don't Skip the Business Plan
A business plan is essential to the health of your new business. Indeed, your business plan is your game plan for how you hope to grow your business. Not having a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Bring in Revenues
Do you know how to sell? In order to attract customers to your new Lowell business, you need to focus on sales.
Good selling involves demonstrating that your wares meet your customer's needs. Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
Some Interesting Lowell Entrepreneurs
We're compiling a number of interviews with Lowell entrepreneurs. Enjoy!
Never Give Up
As an entrepreneur in Lowell, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Lowell and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Lowell entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Lowell, Massachusetts
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Lowell.
- Resources for Lowell, Massachusetts Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Lowell entrepreneurs.
- Massachusetts Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Massachusetts.
- Massachusetts Small Business Development Center - The Massachusetts Small Business Development Center (MSBDC) Network provides one-to-one free comprehensive and confidential services focusing on, business growth and strategies, financing and loan assistance as well as strategic, marketing and operational analysis.
More Startup Articles for Massachusetts Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs