Texas Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Marfa, Texas
Need help starting a business in Marfa, Texas? We've got the information you need to open a business in Marfa.
What Business to Start
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. We recommend that you read Finding Your Niche in Life.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting an Economic Development Business guide or our Starting a Cotton & Cotton Goods Wholesale & Manufacturers Business guide.
Don't forget that you are opening your new business in Marfa. Some businesses will do better in Marfa than others. Study Marfa demographics and do a competitive analysis as part of your startup planning process.
Marfa, Texas Demographic Information
Marfa has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Marfa demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Marfa.
As a new Marfa entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Marfa for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Franchising?
Visit the business district of Marfa and it's apparent that franchising has become a very popular way to start a business. But is franchising the right option for you?
We highly recommend you consider franchising as an option. We have many articles on franchises, such as Benefits of Owning A Franchise. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
You can review hundreds of franchise opportunities by browing our Franchise Directory.
Note on Marfa Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Marfa.
Naming the Business
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Naming a Business.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are opening a business in Marfa, it's critical that you ensure that no other Texas company is using the business name you want to use.
Raising Money for Your New Venture
Getting your Marfa business the capital it needs to succeed is a difficult chore. In fact, financing your new business may be the hardest challenge you ever face.
Recognizing this challenge, this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled Business Credit Evaluation.
The Art of Selling
Do you know how to sell? In order to attract customers to your new Marfa business, you need to focus on sales.
So what does it take to bring in more prospects and close more business? Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
The best entrepreneurs recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Marfa, Texas, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local Texas educational institutions. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking organizations for Marfa entrepreneurs.
As an entrepreneur in Marfa, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Marfa and throughout the United States . We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Marfa entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Marfa, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Marfa.
- Resources for Marfa, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Marfa entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs