Michigan Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Marlette, Michigan
Need help starting a business in Marlette, Michigan? We've got the information you need to open a business in Marlette.
Are You Ready for the Challenges of Being an Entrepreneur?
Before you get too far along in the process, consider your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Here are three things we recommend you do before you fully commit to starting a new business of your own.
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Marlette. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- We recommend reading Should You Become an Entrepreneur?. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Have a candid conversation with friends and family. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Which Business to Choose?
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. If you are struggling with what type of business to start, read Free Business Ideas.
To view an extensive list of business types, complete with startup instructions, spend some time in the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start an Energy Management Engineers Business guide or our Opening a Laundry Equipment Service & Repair Business guide.
Don't forget that starting a business in Marlette has some implications. Some businesses will do better in Marlette than others. Study Marlette demographics and do a competitive analysis as part of your startup planning process.
Marlette, Michigan Demographic Information
Marlette has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Marlette demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Marlette.
As a new Marlette entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Marlette for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Choosing a Business Name
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Company names need to be easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and easy to remember.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Branding Advice.
On a final note, given that you are planning on starting a business in Marlette, it's very important that you make sure no Michigan company has already registered the company name you have selected.
Don't Forget to Create a Business Plan
Having a business plan is vital to the health of your new business. Indeed, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Not having a business plan makes you more prone to becoming a business failure statistic.
Raising Money for Your New Venture
Obtaining startup financing for your Marlette business will be harder than you might expect. The reality is that there is very little funding available for new small businesses, and you have to explore every possible alternative.
Take advantage of our many articles on finding startup capital, such as Business Incubators.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Good entrepreneurs know that they need to continually improve.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Marlette, Michigan, you should check out some of the many programs available at nearby Michigan universities, colleges and community colleges. Another way to keep up on your learning is to investigate Marlette networking organizations.
Never Give Up
You have a dream -- starting a business in Marlette. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Marlette and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Marlette entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Marlette, Michigan
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Marlette.
- Resources for Marlette, Michigan Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Marlette entrepreneurs.
- Michigan Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Michigan.
- Michigan Small Business Development Center - This organization supports 12 regional offices and over 30 satellite offices, each providing counseling and training to Michigan small business owners and entrepreneurs throughout the 83 counties in Michigan. Services to entrepreneurs are offered through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Michigan
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs