Texas Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in McAllen, Texas
Need help starting a business in McAllen, Texas? We've got the information you need to open a business in McAllen.
Is Becoming a Business Owner Right for You?
Before announcing to the world that you are going to start your own business, assess your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in McAllen. Get their take on what it's really like to be an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. That's the best way to get a truly objective assessment as to whether others think you have what it takes.
What Type of Business Should You Start?
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? To stir your creative juices on what kind of business to start, take a look at How to Evaluate a Business Idea.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a Mayonnaise & Salad Dressings Manufacturers Business guide or our How to Start a Medical Research Centers Business guide.
Remember that your new startup will be located in McAllen. Some businesses will do better in McAllen than others. Only by spending some time analyzing McAllen demographics can you decide if there will be strong demand for your business idea.
McAllen, Texas Demographic Information
McAllen has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for McAllen demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in McAllen.
As a new McAllen entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in McAllen for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Buying an Existing McAllen Business?
We've created a helpful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in McAllen.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: How to Buy a Business.
Make Sure You Have a Business Plan
Writing a business plan is critical in laying a solid foundation for your business success. Simply put, your business plan is your game plan for how you hope to grow your business. Not having a business plan will greatly reduce your chances of business success.
Raising Capital for Your Venture
Getting your McAllen business the capital it needs to succeed is not an easy task. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
The good news is this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled Business Line of Credit.
You have a dream -- starting a business in McAllen. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in McAllen and throughout the United States . We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in McAllen, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in McAllen.
- Resources for McAllen, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist McAllen entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs