California Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Palmdale, California
Thinking about starting a business in Palmdale, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Palmdale.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
Most new businesses don't make it, in part because the entrepreneur did not have the perseverance and abilities that are necessary to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Palmdale. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
Palmdale, California Demographic Information
Palmdale has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Palmdale demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Palmdale.
As a new Palmdale entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Palmdale for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Franchising Opportunities?
As you drive around Palmdale, it becomes clear that purchasing a franchise is a common way to get started as an entrepreneur. But is franchising the right option for you?
We highly recommend you consider franchising as an option. On our site, you can read many articles about franchising, such as Protecting Your Franchise Territory. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Sample franchise opportunities include Silver Mine Subs and Coustic-Glo International. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Hotel and Motel Franchises and Kitchen Design Franchises.
Note on Palmdale Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Palmdale.
Naming the Company
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
We strongly advocate that you make sure the ".com" domain name is available for your company name. Every business needs a strong Web presence these days, and having a non ".com" domain means somebody else may outrank you in the search results for your own company name.
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Branding Advice.
On a final note, given that you are starting a business in Palmdale, it's imperative that you check now that no other California company is using the business name you want to use.
Raising Funding for Your Company
Getting your Palmdale business the capital it needs to succeed is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
To learn about raising money, we recommend you read the fundraising articles on our site, such as Business Incubators.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Successful entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
With your business being located in Palmdale, California, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local California educational institutions. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any Palmdale networking organizations.
Most new Palmdale businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Palmdale and throughout the United States . We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Palmdale entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Palmdale, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Palmdale.
- Resources for Palmdale, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Palmdale entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs