California Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Pomona, California
Are you starting a business in Pomona, California? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Pomona.
Pomona, California Demographic Information
Pomona has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Pomona demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Pomona.
As a new Pomona entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Pomona for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Picking a Business Name
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Company.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are planning on starting a business in Pomona, it's very important that you make sure no other California company is using the business name you want to use.
Do You Need a Business Plan?
A business plan is critical in maximizing the prospects of your new company. Simply put, your business plan is your game plan for how you hope to grow your business. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Getting Money to Start a Business
Getting your Pomona business the capital it needs to succeed is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. The reality is that there is very little funding available for new small businesses, and you have to explore every possible alternative.
Take advantage of our many articles on raising capital, such as Business Line of Credit.
Marketing Your New Startup
Whether your goal is to attract Pomona customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
You can learn a ton about marketing on our site. Phone Book Advertising Costs is a good read to get your marketing juices flowing. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Bring in Revenues
Being able to sell is a key enabler to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Pomona or are selling to customers throughout California, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
So what does it take to bring in more prospects and close more business? Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Pomona. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Pomona and elsewhere to achieve real success. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Pomona, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Pomona, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Pomona.
- Resources for Pomona, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Pomona entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for California Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs