New Jersey Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Washington, New Jersey
Contemplating starting a business in Washington, New Jersey? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Washington.
Are You Ready for the Challenges of Being an Entrepreneur?
Most new companies fail, in part because the entrepreneur did not have the entrepreneurial skills and traits needed to succeed. So, before you start your business, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Speak with other entrepreneurs in Washington. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- You should read Starting a Company. It's a good read for those who are thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.
- Talk it over with a close friend or partner. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Washington, New Jersey Demographic Information
Washington has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Washington demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Washington.
As a new Washington entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Washington for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is Buying an Existing Washington Business a Good Strategy?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in New Jersey. Follow that link and you can assess several good businesses for sale in Washington.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: Buying a Business.
Don't Forget to Create a Business Plan
A business plan is essential in maximizing the prospects of your new company. In effect, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Before you start writing a business plan, we suggest you skim The Art of the Executive Summary. A great resource for business planning assistance is the free business counselors available to you through your local SCORE chapter in New Jersey.
Startup Financing Basics
Raising money to fund your new Washington business will be harder than you might expect. In fact, financing your new business may be the hardest challenge you ever face.
Take advantage of our many articles on raising money, such as Bank Credit Lines.
Promoting Your New Company
To grow your Washington business, you need a excellent marketing plan.
There are myriad resources on this site to help you with your marketing plan. Getting Publicity discusses marketing strategy and tactical marketing in a way that should get you thinking about how to creatively promote your business. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Never Give Up
Most new Washington businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
We are here to help Washington businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Washington, New Jersey
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Washington.
- Resources for Washington, New Jersey Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Washington entrepreneurs.
- New Jersey Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in New Jersey.
- New Jersey Small Business Development Center - The New Jersey Small Business Development Centers (NJSBDC) network helps New Jersey small businesses expand operations, manage growth or launch new ventures. With offices in every county of the state, NJSBDC consultants help small business owners finance, market and manage their ventures.
More Business Startup Guides for New Jersey
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs