Texas Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Weatherford, Texas
Contemplating starting a business in Weatherford, Texas? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Weatherford.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
Most startup ventures do not succeed, in part because the business owner did not have the entrepreneurial skills and traits needed to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Speak with other entrepreneurs in Weatherford. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- You should read Business Failure. It's a good read for those who are thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.
- Involve a spouse, family member or trusted friend in the decision. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
Weatherford, Texas Demographic Information
Weatherford has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Weatherford demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Weatherford.
As a new Weatherford entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Weatherford for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Should You Franchise?
Examine a list of Weatherford businesses and you may be surprised to see how many franchises there are in the area. Is there a franchise opportunity out there that makes sense for you?
We advise the entrepreneurs we work with to evaluate the possibility of your buying a franchise opportunity. To help you learn more about franchising, we've gathered a ton of articles on franchising, including Understanding Franchise Contracts. Become a franchising expert of sorts by reading more of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Representative franchise opportunities include Vanguard Cleaning Systems, Inc. and Commercial Union ATM Franchises. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Children's Franchises and Kitchen Design Franchises.
Note on Weatherford Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Weatherford.
Naming the Company
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Before you decide on a company name, run it by some prospective customers and see what they think. If they don't like it, it's probably a good idea to go back to the drawing board.
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Business.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are starting a business in Weatherford, it's imperative that you check now that no other Texas company is using the business name you want to use.
Forming a Company in Weatherford, Texas
A critical step is ensuring that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Without a legal structure for the business, you can be held personally liable for the actions, debts and obligations of your company.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very common way to legally create a business entity. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you are allowed to incorporate in the state of your choosing. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. To learn the basics of company formation, browse articles on our site, such as ESOP Formation. You may also want to seek the advice of an lawyer. Finally, if you are starting a business in Weatherford, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
The Art of Selling
Mastering the art of selling is essential if you want your new Weatherford business to do well.
Clever sales techniques can transform any business from good to great. The good news is we can help you to make selling a big competitve advantage for your new firm.
How to Improve Your Entrepreneurial Abilities
Good entrepreneurs recognize that they need to continually improve.
With your business being located in Weatherford, Texas, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Texas universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking groups or organizations in which Weatherford entrepreneurs get together to network and trade their business experiences.
Most new Weatherford businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Weatherford and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Weatherford entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Weatherford, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Weatherford.
- Resources for Weatherford, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Weatherford entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs