California Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in West Covina, California
Are you starting a business in West Covina, California? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in West Covina.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
Before announcing to the world that you are going to start your own business, take inventory of your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in West Covina. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- We recommend reading Should You Become an Entrepreneur?. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Have a candid conversation with friends and family. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
Choosing the Right Company to Start
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. If you are struggling with what type of business to start, read Free Business Ideas.
For step-by-step instructions on starting a variety of business types, visit the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Opening a Clinics & Medical Centers Business guide or our How to Start an Emergency Disaster Planning Business guide.
Remember that you are opening your new business in West Covina. Some businesses will do better in West Covina than others. Make sure you fully understand West Covina demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
West Covina, California Demographic Information
West Covina has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for West Covina demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in West Covina.
As a new West Covina entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in West Covina for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Forming a Company in West Covina, California
It's very important that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Among other things, forming a legal entity for the business limits your liabilities.
When forming a company, you will select one of many company types, such as a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very common way to legally create a business entity. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. If you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. In fact, you are allowed to incorporate in the state of your choosing. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Company Formation. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in West Covina, California, our web page covering Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Getting the Word Out About Your New Startup
Whether your goal is to attract West Covina customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, having an excellent marketing plan is fundamental to your business achieving its goals.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Advertising Campaigns is a good read to get your marketing thoughts flowing. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Bring in Revenues
Being able to sell is a key enabler to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in West Covina or are selling to customers throughout California, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
How to Build and Motivate a Sales Team is worth reading, as it may give you some good ideas on how to sell your products or services. We have many more good articles on selling that you may enjoy reading.
Improving Your Entrepreneurial Skillset
The best entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
With your business being located in West Covina, California, you should check out some of the learning programs at local California educational institutions. Another way to keep up on your learning is to investigate networking organizations for West Covina entrepreneurs.
You have a dream -- starting a business in West Covina. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in West Covina and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new West Covina entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in West Covina, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in West Covina.
- Resources for West Covina, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist West Covina entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs