Ohio Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Youngstown, Ohio
Contemplating starting a business in Youngstown, Ohio? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Youngstown.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
An entrepreneurial life is difficult, much harder than working as an employee. Are you certain you are ready to take on this challenge?
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Youngstown. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
Choosing the Right Company to Start
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. If you are struggling with what type of business to start, read Finding Your Niche in Life.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start an Office Furniture & Equipment Rental & Leasing Business guide or our How to Start a Travel Medicine Business guide.
Don't forget that you are opening your new business in Youngstown. Some businesses will do better in Youngstown than others. Make sure you fully understand Youngstown demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Youngstown, Ohio Demographic Information
Youngstown has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Youngstown demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Youngstown.
As a new Youngstown entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Youngstown for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Marketing Your New Venture
To rise above the crowd in Youngstown and build your business, you need a great marketing plan.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Yellow Pages Advertising Advice is an article that will generate a few thoughts on your marketing plan. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Building Up Your Sales
Do you know how to sell? In order to attract customers to your new Youngstown business, you need to focus on sales.
The key to selling is to set sales goals goals and monitor your progress towards those goals. Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
Increase Your Entrepreneurial Knowledge
Good entrepreneurs know that they need to continually improve.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Youngstown, Ohio, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local Ohio educational institutions. It's also smart to see if there are any networking organizations for Youngstown entrepreneurs.
As an entrepreneur in Youngstown, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Youngstown and elsewhere to achieve real success. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Youngstown, Ohio
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Youngstown.
- Resources for Youngstown, Ohio Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Youngstown entrepreneurs.
- Ohio Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Ohio.
- Ohio Small Business Development Center - Whether you're starting your business, expanding your business, or just looking to stay in business, the Small Business Development Centers of Ohio (SBDCs of Ohio) can help with professional guidance by connecting you with research, financing sources, and training opportunities.
More Business Startup Guides for Ohio
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs