California Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Arcata, California
Need help starting a business in Arcata, California? We've got the information you need to open a business in Arcata.
Arcata, California Demographic Information
Arcata has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Arcata demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Arcata.
As a new Arcata entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Arcata for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Company
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
We strongly advocate that you make sure the ".com" domain name is available for your company name. Every business needs a strong Web presence these days, and having a non ".com" domain means somebody else may outrank you in the search results for your own company name.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Business.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are starting a business in Arcata, it's very important that you make sure your company name has not already been claimed by another California business.
Don't Forget to Create a Business Plan
A business plan is vital to the health of your new business. In effect, your business plan is your game plan for how you hope to grow your business. Failure to write a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
If you want more information on writing business plans, we recommend reading The Art of the Executive Summary. You can also get free business counselors available to you through your local SCORE chapter in California.
Marketing Your New Venture
To rise above the crowd in Arcata and build your business, you need a solid marketing plan.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Telemarketing Service Costs is a good read to get your marketing juices flowing. That's just one of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Being able to sell is critical to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Arcata or are selling to customers throughout California, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? The good news is we can help you to make selling a big competitve advantage for your new firm.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Good entrepreneurs recognize that they need to continually improve.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Arcata, California, you should get information on some of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. You should also check if there are any networking groups or organizations in which Arcata entrepreneurs get together to network and trade their business experiences.
Now It's Up To You
You have a dream -- starting a business in Arcata. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Arcata and throughout the United States . We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Arcata, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Arcata.
- Resources for Arcata, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Arcata entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for California Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs