Texas Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Arlington, Texas
Are you starting a business in Arlington, Texas? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Arlington.
Arlington, Texas Demographic Information
Arlington has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Arlington demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Arlington.
As a new Arlington entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Arlington for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Arlington Business?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you might discover several good businesses for sale in Arlington.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Selecting a Name For Your Venture
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Naming a Company.
On a final note, given that you are planning on starting a business in Arlington, it's very important that you make sure no other Texas company is using the business name you want to use.
Company Formation in Arlington, Texas
It's very important that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Doing so will protect you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporation is a very popular way to form a business. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. Just because you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you are allowed to incorporate in any state you would like to. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There's a lot to know about forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Piercing the Corporate Veil. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Arlington, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Where to Get Money to Start a Company
Getting your Arlington business the capital it needs to succeed requires strong organization skills and perseverance. If you don't have a rich uncle to fund you, you'll need to be creative in how you approach your fundraising efforts.
Recognizing this challenge, this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled Getting a Small Business Loan.
How to Sell
Being able to sell is essential to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Arlington or are selling to customers throughout Texas, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Never Give Up
You have a dream -- starting a business in Arlington. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Arlington and elsewhere to achieve real success. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Arlington, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Arlington.
- Resources for Arlington, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Arlington entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for Texas Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs