New York Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Astoria, New York
Contemplating starting a business in Astoria, New York? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Astoria.
Do You Have Entrepreneurial Drive and Passion?
Most new companies fail, in part because the entrepreneur did not have the tenacity and/or the skills to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
With so much at stake when you start a business, we strongly recommend you do the following before you proceed:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Astoria. Get their candid feedback on what it takes to start a successful business.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. A support network of family and friends can be a great sounding board for good advice before you decide for sure to go into business.
Astoria, New York Demographic Information
Astoria has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Astoria demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Astoria.
As a new Astoria entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Astoria for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is Franchising a Better Option?
As you drive around Astoria, you may be surprised to see how many franchises there are in the area. But is franchising the right option for you?
Our recommendation is that you consider franchising as an option. We have many articles on franchises, such as Five Franchise Opportunities To Watch. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
You can review hundreds of franchise opportunities by browing our Franchise Directory.
Note on Astoria Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Astoria.
Startup Financing Basics
Finding the funds to fuel the growth of your Astoria business is not an easy task. The reality is that there is very little funding available for new small businesses, and you have to explore every possible alternative.
To learn about raising money, we recommend you read the fundraising articles on our site, such as 504 Loans.
How to Sell
Mastering the art of selling is a must if you want your new Astoria business to do well.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? The good news is we can help you to make selling a big competitve advantage for your new firm.
How to Build and Motivate a Sales Team is worth reading, as it may give you some good ideas on how to sell your products or services. We have many more good articles on selling that you may enjoy reading.
How to Improve Your Entrepreneurial Abilities
Good business owners recognize that they don't know everything.
Given that you are starting a business in Astoria, New York, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local New York educational institutions. We also recommend you look into Astoria networking organizations.
Now It's Up To You
Most new Astoria businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
We are here to help Astoria businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Astoria, New York
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Astoria.
- Resources for Astoria, New York Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Astoria entrepreneurs.
- New York Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in New York.
- New York Small Business Development Center - The New York State Small Business Development Center delivers high quality business counseling and training to New Yorkers who want to start a business or improve the performance of an existing business.
More Business Startup Guides for New York
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs