Kentucky Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Barbourville, Kentucky
Contemplating starting a business in Barbourville, Kentucky? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Barbourville.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
Most new ventures don't make it, in part because the founder did not have the tenacity and/or the skills to succeed. So, before you start your business, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
Before you move forward with starting a business, be sure to do these three things:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Barbourville. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- We recommend reading Should You Become an Entrepreneur?. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Have a candid conversation with friends and family. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
Choosing the Right Company to Start
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. If you are struggling with what type of business to start, read How to Evaluate a Business Idea.
If you still are not sure what type of business to start, peruse the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a Foam Insulation Business guide or our Opening a Glass Rods & Tubing Business guide.
Don't forget that you are opening your new business in Barbourville. Some businesses will do better in Barbourville than others. A critical consideration is whether Barbourville demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Barbourville, Kentucky Demographic Information
Barbourville has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Barbourville demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Barbourville.
As a new Barbourville entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Barbourville for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Should You Buy an Existing Barbourville Business?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in Kentucky. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Barbourville.
If you are going to be buying a business, you may want to read this article: Buying a Business.
Choosing a Company Name
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Company names should be fun to say, and they should help people to understand what you do and how you differentiate yourself in the market.
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Branding Advice.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are starting a business in Barbourville, it's imperative that you check now that no other Kentucky company is using the business name you want to use.
The Art of Selling
Mastering the art of selling is a must if you want your new Barbourville business to do well.
Good selling involves demonstrating that your wares meet your customer's needs. Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Most new Barbourville businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Barbourville and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Barbourville, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Barbourville, Kentucky
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Barbourville.
- Resources for Barbourville, Kentucky Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Barbourville entrepreneurs.
- Kentucky Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Kentucky.
- Kentucky Small Business Development Center - The Kentucky Small Business Development Center (KSBDC) has been assisting Kentucky small business community for more than 25 years. KSBDC is co-sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Administration and is administered by the University of Kentucky in partnership with regional universities, community and private colleges, and the private sector.
More Startup Articles for Kentucky Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs