California Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Barstow, California
Are you starting a business in Barstow, California? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Barstow.
Do You Have Entrepreneurial Drive and Passion?
Before you get too far along in the process, assess your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Because entrepreneurship is not for everyone, we recommend you do the following to help you assess whether you should move forward with starting a business:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Barstow. Get their candid feedback on what it takes to start a successful business.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. A support network of family and friends can be a great sounding board for good advice before you decide for sure to go into business.
Choosing the Right Company to Start
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading Business Ideas That Don't Make Sense.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a Filter Cleaning Business guide or our Opening a Road & Highway Construction Machinery & Equipment Business guide.
Don't forget that your new startup will be located in Barstow. Think about what needs are currently being underserved in Barstow. A critical consideration is whether Barstow demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Barstow, California Demographic Information
Barstow has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Barstow demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Barstow.
As a new Barstow entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Barstow for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is a Franchise Opportunity Right For You?
Examine a list of Barstow businesses and you'll notice that many local entrepreneurs have gone the franchising route. But is franchising the right option for you?
Our recommendation is that you look into purchasing a franchise. We have many articles on franchises, such as How to Get More Franchisees. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
A comprehensive list of franchisors is available via our List of Franchise Opportunities.
Sample franchise opportunities include AmeriCare Alliance and Santorini Island Grill. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Consulting Franchises and Franchises that Serve Liquor.
Note on Barstow Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Barstow.
Forming a Company in Barstow, California
A critical step is ensuring that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Doing so will protect you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very common way to legally create a business entity. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. In fact, you can incorporate in the state of your choosing. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Getting an EIN. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Barstow, California, our information on Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Where to Get Money to Start a Company
Getting your Barstow business the capital it needs to succeed requires strong organization skills and perseverance. Bootstrapping, which means growing the business without outside funding, is the best alternative, but that's not a viable option for many startup plans.
To learn about raising money, we recommend you read the fundraising articles on our site, such as 504 Loans.
Now It's Up To You
You have a dream -- starting a business in Barstow. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Barstow and elsewhere to achieve real success. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Barstow, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Barstow, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Barstow.
- Resources for Barstow, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Barstow entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs