Texas Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Cleburne, Texas
Thinking about starting a business in Cleburne, Texas? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Cleburne.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
An entrepreneurial life is hard work, much harder than working as an employee. Are you certain you have the stamina and skills to succeed on your own?
Before you move forward with starting a business, be sure to do these three things:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Cleburne. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
What Business to Start
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? If you are struggling with what type of business to start, read Business Ideas That Don't Make Sense.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Opening a Wholesale Natural Marble Business guide or our How to Start a Cell Phones Plans Providers Business guide.
Always keep in mind that starting a business in Cleburne has some implications. Some businesses will do better in Cleburne than others. A critical consideration is whether Cleburne demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Cleburne, Texas Demographic Information
Cleburne has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Cleburne demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Cleburne.
As a new Cleburne entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Cleburne for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Franchising Opportunities?
Examine a list of Cleburne businesses and you'll see that franchises make up a large percentage of local businesses. But is franchising the right option for you?
We highly recommend you look into purchasing a franchise. This site has dozens of articles on franchising, such as Franchise Tradeshows. Get a thorough education on franchising by browsing all of our Articles on Franchising.
A comprehensive list of franchisors is available via our List of Franchise Opportunities.
Representative franchise opportunities include Nationwide Lifts and PremierGarage. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Wine Franchises and Marketing, Sales and Advertising Franchises.
Note on Cleburne Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Cleburne.
Is Buying an Existing Cleburne Business a Good Strategy?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Cleburne.
If you are headed down the path of buying a business, you may want to read this article: Buying a Business.
Forming a Company in Cleburne, Texas
A critical step is ensuring that you are forming a legal entity that operates independently from you. Doing so will shield you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
When forming a company, you will pick from many company types, such as a corporation, LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership or other structure.
Incorporation is a very common way to legally create a business entity. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you can incorporate in the state of your choosing. For example, it's very popular to incorporate in Delaware, and incorporating in Nevada has become very trendy as well. Don't forget, though, that you will have to register as a foreign entity in all states that you do business in.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Avoiding Personal Liability in Business. You may also want to seek the advice of an lawyer. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in Cleburne, Texas, our web page covering Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Make Sure You Have a Business Plan
Creating a business plan is essential in maximizing the prospects of your new company. In effect, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Failure to write a business plan
Before you start writing a business plan, we suggest you skim Business Plan Software. You should also take advantage of free business counselors available to you through your local SCORE chapter in Texas.
As an entrepreneur in Cleburne, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Cleburne and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Cleburne, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Cleburne, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Cleburne.
- Resources for Cleburne, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Cleburne entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs