Texas Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Desoto, Texas
Need help starting a business in Desoto, Texas? We've got the information you need to open a business in Desoto.
What Business Are You Starting?
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? To stir your creative juices on what kind of business to start, take a look at Free Business Ideas.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Opening a Gaming & Lottery Business guide or our How to Start a Medical Imaging Business guide.
Don't forget that Desoto is the place where you are starting a business. If Desoto already has plenty of the kind of business you want to start, you might want to change your plans. A critical consideration is whether Desoto demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Desoto, Texas Demographic Information
Desoto has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Desoto demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Desoto.
As a new Desoto entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Desoto for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Business
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Even if the name doesn't do it by itself, many naming experts believe there should be a story behind the name that ties into your company mission.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Company.
On a final note, given that you are opening a business in Desoto, it's critical that you ensure that you will be the only Texas company using the business name you have chosen.
Forming a Company in Desoto, Texas
A critical step is ensuring that you choose the right legal structure for your new entity. The principal advantage of forming your new business as a legal entity is that it separates your business liabilities from your personal liabilities.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporation is a very common way to legally create a business entity. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you are allowed to incorporate wherever you want. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Piercing the Corporate Veil. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. Finally, if you are starting a business in Desoto, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Marketing Your New Company
To rise above the crowd in Desoto and build your business, you need a great marketing plan.
There are myriad resources on this site to help you with your marketing plan. Phone Book Advertising Costs is an article that will stimulate a few thoughts on your marketing plan. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Successful entrepreneurs recognize that they need to continually improve.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Desoto, Texas, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local Texas educational institutions. We also recommend you look into Desoto networking organizations.
As an entrepreneur in Desoto, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Desoto and elsewhere to achieve real success. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Desoto, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Desoto.
- Resources for Desoto, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Desoto entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for Texas Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs