California Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Duarte, California
Are you starting a business in Duarte, California? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Duarte.
Duarte, California Demographic Information
Duarte has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Duarte demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Duarte.
As a new Duarte entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Duarte for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is Franchising a Better Option?
As you drive around Duarte, it becomes clear that purchasing a franchise is a common way to get started as an entrepreneur. Would going with a franchise be a good idea for you?
We highly recommend you evaluate the possibility of your buying a franchise opportunity. This site has dozens of articles on franchising, such as Protecting Your Franchise Territory. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Note on Duarte Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Duarte.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Duarte Business?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Duarte.
If you are serious about buying a business, you may want to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Choosing a Company Name
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
We strongly advocate that you make sure the ".com" domain name is available for your company name. Every business needs a strong Web presence these days, and having a non ".com" domain means somebody else may outrank you in the search results for your own company name.
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Branding Advice.
On a final note, given that you are starting a business in Duarte, it's imperative that you check now that your company name has not already been claimed by another California business.
Company Formation in Duarte, California
A critical step is ensuring that you form your business as a legal structure. The principal advantage of forming your new business as a legal entity is that it separates your business liabilities from your personal liabilities.
When forming a company, you will pick from many company types, such as a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. Just because you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. In fact, you are allowed to incorporate in any state you would like to. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There's a lot to know about forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Registered Agents. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in Duarte, California, our web page covering Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
The Art of Selling
Mastering the art of selling is essential if you want your new Duarte business to do well.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Successful entrepreneurs know that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
Given that you are starting a business in Duarte, California, you should get information on some of the learning programs at local California educational institutions. You should also check if there are any networking organizations for Duarte entrepreneurs.
Most new Duarte businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Duarte businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Duarte, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Duarte, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Duarte.
- Resources for Duarte, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Duarte entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for California Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs