Tennessee Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Germantown, Tennessee
Contemplating starting a business in Germantown, Tennessee? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Germantown.
Do You Have What It Takes?
Before you get too far along in the process, consider your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
With so much at stake when you start a business, we strongly recommend you do the following before you proceed:
- Grab a meal or cofee with other entrepreneurs in Germantown. Get their candid feedback on what it takes to start a successful business.
- Take a look at The Entrepreneurial Personality. It's a short article but it's a good reality check for those are about to jump into the world of entrepreneurship.
- Reach out to a trusted acquaintance. A support network of family and friends can be a great sounding board for good advice before you decide for sure to go into business.
Which Business to Choose?
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading Finding Your Niche in Life.
For step-by-step instructions on starting a variety of business types, visit the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a LAN/WAN Devices Business guide or our Starting a Specialty & Fancy Boxes Business guide.
Don't forget that your new startup will be located in Germantown. Some businesses will do better in Germantown than others. A critical consideration is whether Germantown demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Germantown, Tennessee Demographic Information
Germantown has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Germantown demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Germantown.
As a new Germantown entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Germantown for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Should You Buy an Existing Germantown Business?
We've created a helpful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in Tennessee. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Germantown.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: Buying a Business.
Promoting Your New Startup
Whether your goal is to attract Germantown customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
You can learn quite a bit about marketing on our site. Marketing Versus Sales is a good read to get your marketing ideas flowing. That's just a taste of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Learning More About Entrepreneurship
Good entrepreneurs recognize that they need to continually improve.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Germantown, Tennessee, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Tennessee universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any Germantown networking organizations.
Now It's Up To You
You have a dream -- starting a business in Germantown. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
We are here to help Germantown businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Germantown, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Germantown, Tennessee
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Germantown.
- Resources for Germantown, Tennessee Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Germantown entrepreneurs.
- Tennessee Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Tennessee.
- Tennessee Small Business Development Center - If you are a small business owner, entrepreneur or you are thinking about starting a new business, the Tennessee Small Business Development Center (TSBDC) is ready to help you every step of the way!
More Business Startup Guides for Tennessee
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs