New Jersey Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Hoboken, New Jersey
Are you starting a business in Hoboken, New Jersey? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Hoboken.
Do You Have What It Takes?
Before announcing to the world that you are going to start your own business, take inventory of your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Before you move forward with starting a business, be sure to do these three things:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Hoboken. Get their candid feedback on what it takes to start a successful business.
- We recommend reading Should You Become an Entrepreneur?. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Have a candid conversation with friends and family. A support network of family and friends can be a great sounding board for good advice before you decide for sure to go into business.
What Business to Start
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading Free Business Ideas.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start an Ambulance & Hearse Dealership guide or our How to Start a Candy & Cookie Arrangements Retailer guide.
Always keep in mind that you are starting a business in Hoboken. The business you want to start may already be well-represented in Hoboken. Don't forget to review Hoboken demographics to see if there's a market for what you want to sell.
Hoboken, New Jersey Demographic Information
Hoboken has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Hoboken demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Hoboken.
As a new Hoboken entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Hoboken for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Company
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Pick a company name that isn't too generic. If you do a search engine search for your proposed name and a billion results come up, you may want to reconsider the name. It's much easier to come up in the search engines when your name is fairly unique.
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Naming a Business.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are opening a business in Hoboken, it's very important that you make sure your company name has not already been claimed by another New Jersey business.
Marketing Your New Startup
To grow your Hoboken business, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Transit Advertising is a good read to get your marketing juices flowing. That's just a sampling of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Increase Your Entrepreneurial Knowledge
The best business owners recognize that they need to continually improve.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Hoboken, New Jersey, you should get information on some of the many programs available at nearby New Jersey universities, colleges and community colleges. You should also check if there are any networking organizations for Hoboken entrepreneurs.
Now It's Up To You
You have a dream -- starting a business in Hoboken. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Hoboken businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Hoboken, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Hoboken, New Jersey
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Hoboken.
- Resources for Hoboken, New Jersey Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Hoboken entrepreneurs.
- New Jersey Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in New Jersey.
- New Jersey Small Business Development Center - The New Jersey Small Business Development Centers (NJSBDC) network helps New Jersey small businesses expand operations, manage growth or launch new ventures. With offices in every county of the state, NJSBDC consultants help small business owners finance, market and manage their ventures.
More Business Startup Guides for New Jersey
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs