California Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Lancaster, California
Contemplating starting a business in Lancaster, California? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Lancaster.
Will You Be a Good Entrepreneur?
Most new companies do not succeed, in part because the business owner did not have the entrepreneurial skills and traits needed to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
Before you move forward with starting a business, be sure to do these three things:
- Grab a meal or cofee with other entrepreneurs in Lancaster. They are usually very willing to share their insights on the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur.
- Take a look at Business Failure. It's a short article but it's a good reality check for those are about to jump into the world of entrepreneurship.
- Involve a spouse, family member or trusted friend in the decision. Others sometimes know you better than you know yourself.
Lancaster, California Demographic Information
Lancaster has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Lancaster demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Lancaster.
As a new Lancaster entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Lancaster for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is a Franchise Opportunity Right For You?
As you drive around Lancaster, it becomes clear that purchasing a franchise is a common way to get started as an entrepreneur. Is it perhaps smarter to franchise a business instead of doing it from scratch.
Our recommendation is that you consider franchising as an option. This site has dozens of articles on franchising, such as Franchise Law. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Note on Lancaster Franchise Opportunities: To find out if a franchise you are interested in is available in Lancaster, you will need to get in direct contact with the franchisor.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Lancaster Business?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Lancaster.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Choosing a Company Name
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Naming a Business.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are planning on starting a business in Lancaster, it's imperative that you check now that your company name has not already been claimed by another California business.
How to Improve Your Entrepreneurial Abilities
Successful entrepreneurs know that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
With your business being located in Lancaster, California, you should investigate some of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. You should also check if there are any networking organizations for Lancaster entrepreneurs.
Most new Lancaster businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Lancaster and elsewhere to achieve real success. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Lancaster, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Lancaster, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Lancaster.
- Resources for Lancaster, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Lancaster entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for California Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs