California Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Lodi, California
Need help starting a business in Lodi, California? We've got the information you need to open a business in Lodi.
Will You Be a Successful Entrepreneur?
An entrepreneurial life is hard work, much more challenging than working as an employee. Are you sure you have the stamina and skills to succeed on your own?
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Lodi. They are usually very willing to share their insights on the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Why Small Businesses Fail. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Get feedback from somebody whom you trust. Others sometimes know you better than you know yourself.
What Business to Start
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? To help you decide on a business type, we encourage you to read Free Business Ideas.
If you still are not sure what type of business to start, peruse the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting a TDD/TTY Telephone Service guide or our How to Start a Repossession Services Business guide.
Don't forget that you are starting a business in Lodi. Some businesses will do better in Lodi than others. Make sure you fully understand Lodi demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Lodi, California Demographic Information
Lodi has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Lodi demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Lodi.
As a new Lodi entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Lodi for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Lodi Business?
We've created a useful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you might discover several good businesses for sale in Lodi.
If you are intent on buying a business, you may want to read this article: How to Buy a Business.
The Role of the Business Plan
Having a business plan is vital to the health of your new business. Simply put, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Failure to write a business plan makes you more prone to becoming a business failure statistic.
Before you start writing a business plan, we suggest you skim Expert Advice on Business Plans. You should also take advantage of free counseling sessions provided by your local SCORE chapter in California.
Marketing Your New Business
To rise above the crowd in Lodi and build your business, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
You can learn quite a bit about marketing on our site. Pricing and Positioning is an article that will stimulate a few thoughts on your marketing plan. That's just a sampling of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
As an entrepreneur in Lodi, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Lodi businesses to be successful. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Lodi entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Lodi, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Lodi.
- Resources for Lodi, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Lodi entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs