California Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Los Altos, California
Are you starting a business in Los Altos, California? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Los Altos.
Choosing the Right Company to Start
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. To stir your creative juices on what kind of business to start, take a look at Free Business Ideas.
For step-by-step instructions on starting a variety of business types, visit the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting a Nailing Machinery Business guide or our Starting a Fertilizer Handling Equipment Business guide.
Always keep in mind that your new startup will be located in Los Altos. Think about what needs are currently being underserved in Los Altos. A critical consideration is whether Los Altos demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Los Altos, California Demographic Information
Los Altos has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Los Altos demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Los Altos.
As a new Los Altos entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Los Altos for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Is a Franchise Opportunity Right For You?
As you drive around Los Altos, you'll notice that many local entrepreneurs have gone the franchising route. Is it perhaps smarter to franchise a business instead of doing it from scratch.
We advise the entrepreneurs we work with to investigate buying a franchise. We have many articles on franchises, such as Benefits of Owning A Franchise. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Note on Los Altos Franchise Opportunities: To find out if a franchise you are interested in is available in Los Altos, you will need to get in direct contact with the franchisor.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Los Altos Business?
We've created a handy website page for those who want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you might discover several good businesses for sale in Los Altos.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Buying a Business.
The Art of Selling
Being able to sell is essential to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Los Altos or are selling to customers throughout California, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Good business owners recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
Given that you are starting a business in Los Altos, California, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby California universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any Los Altos networking organizations.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Los Altos. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Los Altos and elsewhere to achieve real success. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Los Altos, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Los Altos, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Los Altos.
- Resources for Los Altos, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Los Altos entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Startup Articles for California Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs