California Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Richmond, California
Thinking about starting a business in Richmond, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Richmond.
Richmond, California Demographic Information
Richmond has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Richmond demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Richmond.
As a new Richmond entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Richmond for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Buying an Existing Richmond Business?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Richmond.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Do You Need a Business Plan?
A business plan is vital in maximizing the prospects of your new company. Simply put, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Not having a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
If you want more information on writing business plans, we recommend reading Reasons to Write a Business Plan. You can also get free counseling sessions provided by your local SCORE chapter in California.
Getting Money to Start a Business
Getting your Richmond business the capital it needs to succeed will be harder than you might expect. If you don't have a rich uncle to fund you, you'll need to be creative in how you approach your fundraising efforts.
Take advantage of our many articles on raising capital, such as Investor Turnoffs.
Marketing Your New Venture
To grow your Richmond business, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
We have some excellent resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Business Cards is a good read to get your marketing juices flowing. That's just a taste of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
How to Sell
Being able to sell is critical to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Richmond or are selling to customers throughout California, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? The good news is we can help you to make selling a big competitve advantage for your new firm.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Richmond. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Richmond and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Richmond, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Richmond, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Richmond.
- Resources for Richmond, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Richmond entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs