Michigan Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Rogers City, Michigan
Thinking about starting a business in Rogers City, Michigan? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Rogers City.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
An entrepreneurial life is difficult, much harder than working as an employee. Are you sure you have the stamina and skills to succeed on your own?
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Speak with other entrepreneurs in Rogers City. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- You should read Starting a Company. It's a good read for those who are thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.
- Talk it over with a close friend or partner. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
Choosing the Right Company to Start
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading How to Evaluate a Business Idea.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting a Picture Rental Business guide or our Starting a Transportation Services Business guide.
Remember that starting a business in Rogers City has some implications. The business you want to start may already be well-represented in Rogers City. A critical consideration is whether Rogers City demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Rogers City, Michigan Demographic Information
Rogers City has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Rogers City demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Rogers City.
As a new Rogers City entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Rogers City for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Should You Buy an Existing Rogers City Business?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in Michigan. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Rogers City.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: How to Buy a Business.
Marketing Your New Venture
To grow your Rogers City business, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
You can learn a ton about marketing on our site. Customer Loyalty is an article that will stimulate a few thoughts on your marketing plan. That's just a sampling of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Good business owners recognize that they don't know everything.
Given that you are starting a business in Rogers City, Michigan, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Michigan universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking organizations for Rogers City entrepreneurs.
As an entrepreneur in Rogers City, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
We are here to help Rogers City businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Rogers City, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Rogers City, Michigan
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Rogers City.
- Resources for Rogers City, Michigan Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Rogers City entrepreneurs.
- Michigan Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Michigan.
- Michigan Small Business Development Center - This organization supports 12 regional offices and over 30 satellite offices, each providing counseling and training to Michigan small business owners and entrepreneurs throughout the 83 counties in Michigan. Services to entrepreneurs are offered through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Michigan
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs