Michigan Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Roscommon, Michigan
Thinking about starting a business in Roscommon, Michigan? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Roscommon.
Are You Ready for Entrepreneurship?
Before quitting your day job, take inventory of your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Here are three things we recommend you do before you fully commit to starting a new business of your own.
- Speak with other entrepreneurs in Roscommon. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- You should read The Entrepreneurial Personality. It's a good read for those who are thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.
- Reach out to a trusted acquaintance. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Roscommon, Michigan Demographic Information
Roscommon has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Roscommon demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Roscommon.
As a new Roscommon entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Roscommon for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Franchising Opportunities?
Browse the Yellow Pages for Roscommon and you'll notice that many local entrepreneurs have gone the franchising route. Should you be giving franchising serious consideration?
Our advice is to consider franchising as an option. We have many articles on franchises, such as Before Buying a Franchise. Gain a solid understanding of franchising by scanning all of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Note on Roscommon Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Roscommon.
Picking a Company Name
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Company names should be fun to say, and they should help people to understand what you do and how you differentiate yourself in the market.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Business.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are starting a business in Roscommon, it's very important that you make sure no other Michigan company is using the business name you want to use.
Raising Funding for Your Venture
Getting your Roscommon business the capital it needs to succeed is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
To learn about raising money, we recommend you read the fundraising articles on our site, such as 504 Loans.
Increase Your Entrepreneurial Knowledge
Good business owners recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
Given that you are starting a business in Roscommon, Michigan, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local Michigan educational institutions. It's also smart to see if there are any networking groups or organizations in which Roscommon entrepreneurs get together to network and trade their business experiences.
Never Give Up
You have a dream -- starting a business in Roscommon. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Roscommon and throughout the United States . We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Roscommon, Michigan
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Roscommon.
- Resources for Roscommon, Michigan Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Roscommon entrepreneurs.
- Michigan Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Michigan.
- Michigan Small Business Development Center - This organization supports 12 regional offices and over 30 satellite offices, each providing counseling and training to Michigan small business owners and entrepreneurs throughout the 83 counties in Michigan. Services to entrepreneurs are offered through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration.
More Startup Articles for Michigan Cities
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs