Kentucky Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Scottsville, Kentucky
Thinking about starting a business in Scottsville, Kentucky? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Scottsville.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
Before quitting your day job, assess your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
With so much at stake when you start a business, we strongly recommend you do the following before you proceed:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Scottsville. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- We recommend reading Should You Become an Entrepreneur?. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Have a candid conversation with friends and family. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
Scottsville, Kentucky Demographic Information
Scottsville has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Scottsville demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Scottsville.
As a new Scottsville entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Scottsville for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Scottsville Business?
We've created a handy website page for those who want to Buy a Business in Kentucky. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Scottsville.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: How to Buy a Business.
Selecting a Name For Your Venture
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Company names should be fun to say, and they should help people to understand what you do and how you differentiate yourself in the market.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Company.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are opening a business in Scottsville, it's very important that you make sure your company name has not already been claimed by another Kentucky business.
Marketing Your New Venture
To grow your Scottsville business, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
You can learn plenty about marketing on our site. Radio Ads is a good read to get your marketing thoughts flowing. That's just a sampling of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Bring in Revenues
Being able to sell is critical to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Scottsville or are selling to customers throughout Kentucky, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
Hiring Telemarketing Firms to Generate Sales Leads is a good article to read, one of dozens in the Selling for Entrepreneurs section of our site.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Good entrepreneurs know that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
With your business being located in Scottsville, Kentucky, you should investigate some of the many programs available at nearby Kentucky universities, colleges and community colleges. You should also check if there are any Scottsville networking organizations.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Scottsville. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Scottsville businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Scottsville, Kentucky
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Scottsville.
- Resources for Scottsville, Kentucky Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Scottsville entrepreneurs.
- Kentucky Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Kentucky.
- Kentucky Small Business Development Center - The Kentucky Small Business Development Center (KSBDC) has been assisting Kentucky small business community for more than 25 years. KSBDC is co-sponsored by the U.S. Small Business Administration and is administered by the University of Kentucky in partnership with regional universities, community and private colleges, and the private sector.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Kentucky
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs