California Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in South San Francisco, California
Are you starting a business in South San Francisco, California? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in South San Francisco.
What Business Are You Starting?
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? To help you decide on a business type, we encourage you to read How to Evaluate a Business Idea.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Opening an Ergonomics Business guide or our How to Start a Hot Air Balloon Rides & Rental Business guide.
Always keep in mind that South San Francisco is the place where you are starting a business. Some businesses will do better in South San Francisco than others. Only by spending some time analyzing South San Francisco demographics can you decide if there will be strong demand for your business idea.
South San Francisco, California Demographic Information
South San Francisco has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for South San Francisco demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in South San Francisco.
As a new South San Francisco entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in South San Francisco for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Buying an Existing South San Francisco Business?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you might discover several good businesses for sale in South San Francisco.
If you are serious about buying a business, you may want to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Naming the Company
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Company.
On a final note, given that you are planning on starting a business in South San Francisco, it's imperative that you check now that your company name has not already been claimed by another California business.
Make Sure You Have a Business Plan
A business plan is vital to the health of your new business. Simply put, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Promoting Your New Company
Whether your goal is to attract South San Francisco customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, having an excellent marketing plan is fundamental to your succeeding.
You can learn plenty about marketing on our site. Advertising on Google discusses marketing strategy and tactical marketing in a way that should get you thinking about how to creatively promote your business. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Never Give Up
Most new South San Francisco businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help South San Francisco businesses to be successful. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in South San Francisco, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in South San Francisco.
- Resources for South San Francisco, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist South San Francisco entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs