California Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Truckee, California
Need help starting a business in Truckee, California? We've got the information you need to open a business in Truckee.
What Business Are You Starting?
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. To help you decide on a business type, we encourage you to read Free Business Ideas.
To view an extensive list of business types, complete with startup instructions, spend some time in the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting a Financial Counselors Business guide or our Starting a Satellite Television Equipment Dealers Business guide.
Don't forget that your new startup will be located in Truckee. If Truckee already has plenty of the kind of business you want to start, you might want to change your plans. A critical consideration is whether Truckee demographics mesh well with your startup concept.
Truckee, California Demographic Information
Truckee has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Truckee demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Truckee.
As a new Truckee entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Truckee for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Franchising?
Visit the business district of Truckee and you'll see that franchises make up a large percentage of local businesses. But is franchising the right option for you?
Our advice is to consider franchising as an option. This site has dozens of articles on franchising, such as How Franchises Work. Become a franchising expert of sorts by reading more of our Articles on Franchising.
To learn about specific franchise opportunities, check out our Franchise Directory.
Sample franchise opportunities include Clean & Happy Windows and Michel's Baguette Bakery Café. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Embroidery Franchises and Meal Preparation Franchises.
Note on Truckee Franchise Opportunities: To find out if a franchise you are interested in is available in Truckee, you will need to get in direct contact with the franchisor.
Choosing a Company Name
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Business.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are planning on starting a business in Truckee, it's critical that you ensure that no other California company is using the business name you want to use.
Company Formation in Truckee, California
A critical step is ensuring that you form your business as a legal structure. Doing so will shield you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a corporation, LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership or other structure.
Incorporation is a very common way to legally create a business entity. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. Just because you are starting a business in California, it doesn't mean you are required to incorporate in California. In fact, you can incorporate wherever you want. For example, it's very popular to incorporate in Delaware, and incorporating in Nevada has become very trendy as well. Don't forget, though, that you will have to register as a foreign entity in all states that you do business in.
There's a lot to know about forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Getting an EIN. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Truckee, California, our information on Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Don't Skip the Business Plan
Having a business plan is vital to the health of your new business. In effect, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Not having a business plan makes you more prone to becoming a business failure statistic.
Now It's Up To You
As an entrepreneur in Truckee, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Truckee and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Truckee, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Truckee, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Truckee.
- Resources for Truckee, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Truckee entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs