Texas Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Angleton, Texas
Are you starting a business in Angleton, Texas? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Angleton.
Are You Sure You Want to Do This?
Before you get too far along in the process, assess your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Here are three things we recommend you do before you fully commit to starting a new business of your own.
- Speak with other entrepreneurs in Angleton. Ask them candidly what it's like to run a business.
- You should read Starting a Company. It's a good read for those who are thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.
- Talk it over with a close friend or partner. The people who know you best are often in the best position to tell you bluntly whether you will be a good entrepreneur.
Angleton, Texas Demographic Information
Angleton has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Angleton demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Angleton.
As a new Angleton entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Angleton for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Buying an Existing Angleton Business?
We've created a handy website page for those who want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you can assess several good businesses for sale in Angleton.
If you are serious about buying a business, you may want to read this article: Buying a Business.
Naming the Company
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Before you decide on a company name, run it by some prospective customers and see what they think. If they don't like it, it's probably a good idea to go back to the drawing board.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Company.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are starting a business in Angleton, it's very important that you make sure no other Texas company is using the business name you want to use.
Forming a Company in Angleton, Texas
It's essential that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Doing so will shield you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporation is a very popular way to form a business. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. As it turns out, you are allowed to incorporate in the state of your choosing. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. To learn the fundamentals of company formation, browse articles on our site, such as Corporate Formalities. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Angleton, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Startup Financing Basics
Getting your Angleton business the capital it needs to succeed is a difficult chore. If you don't have a rich uncle to fund you, you'll need to be creative in how you approach your fundraising efforts.
To learn about raising money, we recommend you read the fundraising articles on our site, such as Find Start-Up Capital.
Getting the Word Out About Your New Company
To grow your Angleton business, you need a solid marketing plan.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Seven Marketing Ideas for Your Small Business is a good read to get your marketing juices flowing. That's just a sampling of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Angleton. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Angleton and elsewhere to achieve real success. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Angleton, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Angleton.
- Resources for Angleton, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Angleton entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs