Texas Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Beaumont, Texas
Need help starting a business in Beaumont, Texas? We've got the information you need to open a business in Beaumont.
What Business to Start
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading How to Evaluate a Business Idea.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a French Books Business guide or our Starting a Wineries Business guide.
Remember that you are starting a business in Beaumont. The business you want to start may already be well-represented in Beaumont. Don't forget to review Beaumont demographics to see if there's a market for what you want to sell.
Beaumont, Texas Demographic Information
Beaumont has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Beaumont demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Beaumont.
As a new Beaumont entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Beaumont for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Forming a Company in Beaumont, Texas
It's very important that you form your business as a legal structure. Doing so will protect you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a corporation, LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership or other structure.
Incorporation is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. As it turns out, you are allowed to incorporate in any state you would like to. For example, it's very popular to incorporate in Delaware, and incorporating in Nevada has become very trendy as well. Don't forget, though, that you will have to register as a foreign entity in all states that you do business in.
There are many nuances to forming a company. To learn the fundamentals of company formation, browse articles on our site, such as Getting an EIN. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Beaumont, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Do You Need a Business Plan?
A business plan is critical to the health of your new business. Simply put, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
If writing a business plan is on your to-do list, be sure to read Business Plan Contests. A great resource for business planning assistance is the face-to-face free consulting available from your local SCORE chapter in Texas.
Letting the World Know You Exist
Whether your goal is to attract Beaumont customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, you need a excellent marketing plan.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Advertising in Magazines discusses marketing strategy and tactical marketing in a way that should get you thinking about how to creatively promote your business. That's just a taste of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Ramping Up Sales
Mastering the art of selling is essential if you want your new Beaumont business to do well.
So what does it take to bring in more prospects and close more business? Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
Most new Beaumont businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
We are here to help Beaumont businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Beaumont, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Beaumont, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Beaumont.
- Resources for Beaumont, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Beaumont entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs