Texas Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Haskell, Texas
Thinking about starting a business in Haskell, Texas? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Haskell.
Will You Be a Good Entrepreneur?
Most new businesses don't make it, in part because the founder did not have the entrepreneurial skills and traits needed to succeed. So, before jumping into the world of entrepreneurship, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
Before you move forward with starting a business, be sure to do these three things:
- Talk to other entrepreneurs in Haskell. They are usually very willing to share their insights on the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur.
- We recommend reading Characteristics of Successful Entrepreneurs. For aspiring new entrepreneurs, it's a must read article.
- Seek the advice of somebody who knows you well. Others sometimes know you better than you know yourself.
What Type of Business Should You Start?
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. We recommend that you read Free Business Ideas.
To view an extensive list of business types, complete with startup instructions, spend some time in the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Opening a Photographers Business guide or our Opening a Shopping Services Commercial Business guide.
Remember that you are starting a business in Haskell. The business you want to start may already be well-represented in Haskell. Make sure you fully understand Haskell demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Haskell, Texas Demographic Information
Haskell has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Haskell demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Haskell.
As a new Haskell entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Haskell for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Haskell Business?
We've created a handy website page for those who want to Buy a Business in Texas. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Haskell.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Buying a Business.
Forming a Company in Haskell, Texas
A critical step is ensuring that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Doing so will protect you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a corporation, LLC, sole proprietorship, partnership or other structure.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. A key decision is whether to form and S-Corp or a C-Corp, and you also must decide in which state you will incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, it doesn't mean you are required to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you are allowed to incorporate in any state you would like to. For example, it's very popular to incorporate in Delaware, and incorporating in Nevada has become very trendy as well. Don't forget, though, that you will have to register as a foreign entity in all states that you do business in.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Why Incorporate in Delaware. You may also want to seek the advice of an lawyer. Finally, if you are starting a business in Haskell, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Make Sure You Have a Business Plan
A business plan is essential in laying a solid foundation for your business success. Simply put, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
If you want more information on writing business plans, we recommend reading Business Plan Contests. A great resource for business planning assistance is the free counseling sessions provided by your local SCORE chapter in Texas.
The Art of Selling
Mastering the art of selling is a must if you want your new Haskell business to do well.
So what does it take to bring in more prospects and close more business? Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
Most new Haskell businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Haskell and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Haskell, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Haskell, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Haskell.
- Resources for Haskell, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Haskell entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs