New York Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Kingston, New York
Are you starting a business in Kingston, New York? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Kingston.
Are You Ready for the Challenges of Being an Entrepreneur?
Before quitting your day job, assess your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Before you move forward with starting a business, be sure to do these three things:
- Grab a meal or cofee with other entrepreneurs in Kingston. Listen closely to their experiences and see if you think you too can be successful.
- Take a look at Starting a Company. It's a short article but it's a good reality check for those are about to jump into the world of entrepreneurship.
- Talk it over with a close friend or partner. Ask them directly: Do I have what it takes to be an entrepreneur? Listen carefully to their answer, as they presumably know your strengths and weaknesses.
Kingston, New York Demographic Information
Kingston has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Kingston demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Kingston.
As a new Kingston entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Kingston for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Choosing a Business Name
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Company.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are opening a business in Kingston, it's very important that you make sure your company name has not already been claimed by another New York business.
Don't Skip the Business Plan
A business plan is vital in maximizing the prospects of your new company. Indeed, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Not having a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Where to Get Money to Start a Company
Raising money to fund your new Kingston business is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
Take advantage of our many articles on raising capital, such as 504 Loans.
Marketing Your New Venture
Whether your goal is to attract Kingston customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Newspaper Advertising Costs is a good read to get your marketing juices flowing. That's just one of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Never Give Up
You have a dream -- starting a business in Kingston. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
We are here to help Kingston businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Kingston, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Kingston, New York
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Kingston.
- Resources for Kingston, New York Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Kingston entrepreneurs.
- New York Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in New York.
- New York Small Business Development Center - The New York State Small Business Development Center delivers high quality business counseling and training to New Yorkers who want to start a business or improve the performance of an existing business.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in New York
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs