California Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Mariposa, California
Contemplating starting a business in Mariposa, California? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Mariposa.
Mariposa, California Demographic Information
Mariposa has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Mariposa demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Mariposa.
As a new Mariposa entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Mariposa for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Selecting a Name For Your Venture
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Business.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are starting a business in Mariposa, it's imperative that you check now that no other California company is using the business name you want to use.
Company Formation in Mariposa, California
A critical step is ensuring that you choose the right legal structure for your new entity. Among other things, forming a legal entity for the business limits your liabilities.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. Just because you are starting a business in California, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in California. As it turns out, you can incorporate in the state of your choosing. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There's a lot to know about forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Dissolving a Corporation. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. Finally, if you are starting a business in Mariposa, California, our information on Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Startup Financing Basics
Getting your Mariposa business the capital it needs to succeed is very difficult due to the ongoing business credit crunch. The reality is that there is very little funding available for new small businesses, and you have to explore every possible alternative.
On the bright side, this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled 504 Loans.
Marketing Your New Venture
Whether your goal is to attract Mariposa customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, having an excellent marketing plan is fundamental to your succeeding.
There are myriad resources on this site to help you with your marketing plan. Dealing with Angry Customers discusses marketing strategy and tactical marketing in a way that should get you thinking about how to creatively promote your business. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Good business owners know that they need to continually improve.
With your business being located in Mariposa, California, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local California educational institutions. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any Mariposa networking organizations.
Most new Mariposa businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
We are here to help Mariposa businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Mariposa, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Mariposa, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Mariposa.
- Resources for Mariposa, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Mariposa entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs