California Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Martinez, California
Need help starting a business in Martinez, California? We've got the information you need to open a business in Martinez.
Choosing the Right Company to Start
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? You might get some good ideas about what kind of business to start by reading Business Ideas That Don't Make Sense.
To view an extensive list of business types, complete with startup instructions, spend some time in the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a Police Business guide or our Starting a Small Animal Veterinarians Business guide.
Always keep in mind that your new business will be in Martinez. Some businesses will do better in Martinez than others. Make sure you fully understand Martinez demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Martinez, California Demographic Information
Martinez has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Martinez demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Martinez.
As a new Martinez entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Martinez for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Martinez Business?
If you have some capital to play with, you may want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Martinez.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Picking a Company Name
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Company names need to be easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and easy to remember.
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Naming a Business.
As a final piece of advice, remember that because you are opening a business in Martinez, it's imperative that you check now that no other California company is using the business name you want to use.
Don't Skip the Business Plan
A business plan is critical in maximizing the prospects of your new company. In effect, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
To learn more about business plans, read Business Plan Contests. A great resource for business planning assistance is the free business counselors available to you through your local SCORE chapter in California.
Where to Get Money to Start a Company
Getting your Martinez business the capital it needs to succeed is not an easy task. Bootstrapping, which means growing the business without outside funding, is the best alternative, but that's not a viable option for many startup plans.
Fortunately, this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled Borrowing Money from Friends and Family.
Advancing Your Entrepreneurial Skills
Successful entrepreneurs recognize that they need to continually improve.
Given that you are starting a business in Martinez, California, you will want to take advantage of the learning programs at local California educational institutions. It's also worthwhile to see if there are any networking organizations for Martinez entrepreneurs.
Never Give Up
Most new Martinez businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
Owning your own business will be a daunting task, but you can do it.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Martinez and throughout the United States . We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Martinez, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Martinez, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Martinez.
- Resources for Martinez, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Martinez entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs