California Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Santa Clarita, California
Contemplating starting a business in Santa Clarita, California? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Santa Clarita.
What Type of Business Should You Start?
Choosing a business that is right for you is very important. We recommend that you read Evaluating Your Idea.
If you still are not sure what type of business to start, peruse the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start a Hospital Equipment & Supplies Retail Business guide or our How to Start a Pictures & Prints Retail Business guide.
Always keep in mind that you are opening your new business in Santa Clarita. Some businesses will do better in Santa Clarita than others. Only by spending some time analyzing Santa Clarita demographics can you decide if there will be strong demand for your business idea.
Santa Clarita, California Demographic Information
Santa Clarita has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Santa Clarita demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Santa Clarita.
As a new Santa Clarita entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Santa Clarita for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
What About Buying an Existing Santa Clarita Business?
We've created a helpful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you can review several good businesses for sale in Santa Clarita.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: How to Buy a Business.
Naming the Business
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Even if the name doesn't do it by itself, many naming experts believe there should be a story behind the name that ties into your company mission.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Business.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are opening a business in Santa Clarita, it's very important that you make sure no California company has already registered the company name you have selected.
Forming a Company in Santa Clarita, California
A critical step is ensuring that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. The principal advantage of forming your new business as a legal entity is that it separates your business liabilities from your personal liabilities.
When forming a company, you will choose from many company types, such as a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in California, it doesn't mean you are required to incorporate in California. As it turns out, you are allowed to incorporate in any state you would like to. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. We recommend you read some of the educational articles about company formation that are availabe on our site, such as Incorporating Online. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in Santa Clarita, California, our web page covering Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
The Art of Selling
Being able to sell is fundamental to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Santa Clarita or are selling to customers throughout California, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
So what does it take to bring in more prospects and close more business? The good news is we can help you to make selling a big competitve advantage for your new firm.
How to Improve Your Entrepreneurial Abilities
The best entrepreneurs recognize that they don't know everything.
Given that you are starting a business in Santa Clarita, California, you should get information on some of the learning programs at local California educational institutions. Another way to keep up on your learning is to investigate Santa Clarita networking organizations.
Now It's Up To You
You have a dream -- starting a business in Santa Clarita. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
We are here to help Santa Clarita businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Santa Clarita, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Santa Clarita, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Santa Clarita.
- Resources for Santa Clarita, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Santa Clarita entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs