Texas Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Stafford, Texas
Thinking about starting a business in Stafford, Texas? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Stafford.
Stafford, Texas Demographic Information
Stafford has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Stafford demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Stafford.
As a new Stafford entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Stafford for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Company
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Company names need to be easy to spell, easy to pronounce, and easy to remember.
Numerous company naming issues are discussed in more detail in this article: Branding Advice.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are planning on starting a business in Stafford, it's critical that you ensure that no other Texas company is using the business name you want to use.
Forming a Company in Stafford, Texas
It's very important that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. Doing so will shield you from personal liability for business debts and obligations.
The entity you form can be a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporation is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. As it turns out, you can incorporate in any state you would like to. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. To learn the fundamentals of company formation, browse articles on our site, such as Getting an EIN. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. Finally, if you are starting a business in Stafford, Texas, our information on Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Do You Need a Business Plan?
A business plan is vital in laying a solid foundation for your business success. In effect, a business plan is a written description of the future you envision for your business. Failure to write a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Marketing Your New Venture
To rise above the crowd in Stafford and build your business, having an excellent marketing plan is fundamental to your successs.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Introduction to Advertising is an article that will stimulate a few thoughts on your marketing plan. That's just a sampling of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Increase Your Entrepreneurial Knowledge
Good entrepreneurs recognize that they need to continually improve.
As an entrepreneur who lives in Stafford, Texas, you will want to take advantage of the many programs available at nearby Texas universities, colleges and community colleges. It's also wise to see if there are any networking organizations for Stafford entrepreneurs.
Never Give Up
As an entrepreneur in Stafford, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Stafford businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Stafford, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Stafford, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Stafford.
- Resources for Stafford, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Stafford entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs