Texas Business Startup Guides
Open a Business in Waco, Texas
Need help starting a business in Waco, Texas? We've got the information you need to open a business in Waco.
Waco, Texas Demographic Information
Waco has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Waco demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Waco.
As a new Waco entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Waco for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Company
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Company names should be fun to say, and they should help people to understand what you do and how you differentiate yourself in the market.
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Naming a Company.
On a final note, given that you are starting a business in Waco, it's very important that you make sure no Texas company has already registered the company name you have selected.
Forming a Company in Waco, Texas
It's essential that your business is formed as a legal entity that is separate from its owners. The principal advantage of forming your new business as a legal entity is that it separates your business liabilities from your personal liabilities.
When forming a company, you will pick from many company types, such as a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in Texas, you don't necessarily have to incorporate in Texas. In fact, you can incorporate wherever you want. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. To learn the basics of company formation, browse articles on our site, such as Where to Incorporate. You should also consider getting professional assistance from your business lawyer. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in Waco, Texas, our web page covering Incorporating in Texas may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in Texas.
Where to Get Money to Start a Company
Obtaining startup financing for your Waco business requires strong organization skills and perseverance. The reality is that there is very little funding available for new small businesses, and you have to explore every possible alternative.
To learn about raising money, we recommend you read the fundraising articles on our site, such as 504 Loans.
Bring in Revenues
Being able to sell is critical to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Waco or are selling to customers throughout Texas, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
The key to selling is to set sales goals goals and monitor your progress towards those goals. Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Increase Your Entrepreneurial Knowledge
Good entrepreneurs recognize that what they know now may not be enough to ensure their future success.
Given that you are starting a business in Waco, Texas, you should get information on some of the learning programs at local Texas educational institutions. Another way to keep up on your learning is to investigate Waco networking organizations.
Never Give Up
You have a dream -- starting a business in Waco. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Waco and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Waco entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Waco, Texas
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Waco.
- Resources for Waco, Texas Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Waco entrepreneurs.
- Texas Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in Texas.
- Houston, Texas Small Business Development Center - Serving 32 counties in Southeast Texas through 14 business consulting and training centers, the Small Business Development Center Network contributes to the growth and prosperity of the Texas Gulf Coast communities.
- North Texas Small Business Development Center - The NTSBDC Network promotes small business success by providing management education.
- Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center - The Northwest Texas Small Business Development Center was established with Texas Tech University in 1986. This regional program serves over ninety thousand square miles including ninety-five counties with a population base of approximately 1.8 million people. This region is serviced by six centers located in Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland/Odessa, Abilene, Stephenville, and Wichita Falls.
- South-West Texas Border SBDC Network Texas Small Business Development Center - The South-West Texas Border Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides consulting and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for Texas
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs