California Business Startup Guides
Start a Business in Cerritos, California
Are you starting a business in Cerritos, California? This article discusses the most important things to consider when opening a business in Cerritos.
What Type of Business Should You Start?
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. To help you decide on a business type, we encourage you to read Good Business Ideas.
For in-depth how-to guides on how to start specific businesses, browse our Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Opening a Pet Sitting & Day Care Business guide or our How to Start a Pictures & Prints Retail Business guide.
Always keep in mind that Cerritos is the place where you are starting a business. Some businesses will do better in Cerritos than others. Make sure you fully understand Cerritos demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Cerritos, California Demographic Information
Cerritos has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Cerritos demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Cerritos.
As a new Cerritos entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Cerritos for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Company
A big decision when starting a company is choosing a company name. Believe it or not, choosing a good company name can be a big contributor to your business success.
Even if the name doesn't do it by itself, many naming experts believe there should be a story behind the name that ties into your company mission.
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Business.
On a final note, given that you are planning on starting a business in Cerritos, it's imperative that you check now that you will be the only California company using the business name you have chosen.
The Role of the Business Plan
A business plan is vital to the health of your new business. In effect, a business plan describes what you plan to do with the business and how you plan to do it. Starting a business without a business plan is a recipe for disaster.
Before you start writing a business plan, we suggest you skim Find Sample Business Plans Online. A great resource for business planning assistance is the free business counselors available to you through your local SCORE chapter in California.
Marketing Your New Business
To rise above the crowd in Cerritos and build your business, you need a excellent marketing plan.
We have some excellent resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Conducting Sweepstakes and Contests discusses marketing strategy and tactical marketing in a way that should get you thinking about how to creatively promote your business. There are many more articles on marketing on our site. Visit our Small Business Marketing resource section to see them all.
Bring in Revenues
Mastering the art of selling is essential if you want your new Cerritos business to do well.
Good selling involves demonstrating that your wares meet your customer's needs. Fortunately, we've got plenty of good advice to help you improve your selling skills.
Most new Cerritos businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
From this point on, you control your own destiny.
We are here to help Cerritos businesses to be successful. We believe entrepreneurship is an amazing engine for job creation in Cerritos, neighborhood development and overall economic health.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Cerritos, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Cerritos.
- Resources for Cerritos, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Cerritos entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs