California Business Startup Guides
Starting a Business in Selma, California
Thinking about starting a business in Selma, California? This step-by-step guide walks you through the major decisions you should consider before opening a new business in Selma.
What Type of Business Should You Start?
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. To stir your creative juices on what kind of business to start, take a look at Evaluating Your Idea.
To view an extensive list of business types, complete with startup instructions, spend some time in the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting a Wholesaler & Manufacturer of Badges guide or our Opening a Flood Control Equipment & Services Business guide.
Don't forget that starting a business in Selma has some implications. If Selma already has plenty of the kind of business you want to start, you might want to change your plans. Make sure you fully understand Selma demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Selma, California Demographic Information
Selma has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Selma demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Selma.
As a new Selma entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Selma for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Franchising?
As you drive around Selma, you'll see that franchises make up a large percentage of local businesses. But is franchising the right option for you?
We advise the entrepreneurs we work with to consider franchising as an option. We have many articles on franchises, such as Franchise Versus Business Opportunity. Become a franchising expert of sorts by reading more of our Articles on Franchising.
You can review hundreds of franchise opportunities by browing our Franchise Directory.
Representative franchise opportunities include Cartoon Cuts and Jamaica Blue. Alternatively, you can browse franchise categories, such as Video and Photography Franchises and Hardware Store Franchises.
Note on Selma Franchise Opportunities: You will need to contact franchisors directly to see if their franchises are available in Selma.
What About Buying an Existing Selma Business?
We've created a handy website page for those who want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Selma.
Before buying a business, be sure to read this article: Buying a Business.
Promoting Your New Company
Whether your goal is to attract Selma customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, having an excellent marketing plan is fundamental to your doing well.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Responsible Marketing is an article that will stimulate a few thoughts on your marketing plan. That's just a sampling of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
The Art of Selling
Do you know how to sell? In order to attract customers to your new Selma business, you need to focus on sales.
So what does it take to bring in more prospects and close more business? Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
As an entrepreneur in Selma, you won't be working for the boss anymore. You are the boss.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Selma and throughout the United States . We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Selma entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Selma, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Selma.
- Resources for Selma, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Selma entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs