California Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Gridley, California
Contemplating starting a business in Gridley, California? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Gridley.
Will You Be a Good Entrepreneur?
Most startup businesses fail, in part because the founder did not have the perseverance and abilities that are necessary to succeed. So, before you open a business, consider all of the implications of being an entrepreneur.
While entrepreneurship has become a popular career choice, we recommend you do the following before you take the plunge:
- Speak with other entrepreneurs in Gridley. They are usually very willing to share their insights on the ups and downs of being an entrepreneur.
- You should read The Entrepreneurial Personality. It's a good read for those who are thinking about becoming an entrepreneur.
- Reach out to a trusted acquaintance. Others sometimes know you better than you know yourself.
What Type of Business Should You Start?
There are many businesses that you can start. How do you know which type of business is right for you? We recommend that you read Good Business Ideas.
If you still are not sure what type of business to start, peruse the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our How to Start an Army & Navy Store guide or our Opening a Combustion Controls Business guide.
Remember that you are starting a business in Gridley. Some businesses will do better in Gridley than others. Make sure you fully understand Gridley demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Gridley, California Demographic Information
Gridley has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Gridley demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Gridley.
As a new Gridley entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Gridley for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Gridley Business?
An excellent way to get started in business is to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Gridley.
If you are intent on buying a business, you may want to read this article: Hold Harmless Agreements When Buying Businesses.
Naming the Company
Making the right decision when choosing a company name is very important. There are many decisions you'll make now that you can change later, but changing a company name years down the road is not very easy. So, choose a good company name at the outset.
Before you decide on a company name, run it by some prospective customers and see what they think. If they don't like it, it's probably a good idea to go back to the drawing board.
To get up to speed on what makes for a good company name, we encourage you to read this useful article: Naming a Business.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are starting a business in Gridley, it's imperative that you check now that no California company has already registered the company name you have selected.
Marketing Your New Venture
Whether your goal is to attract Gridley customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
You can learn all about marketing on our site. Elevator Advertising discusses marketing strategy and tactical marketing in a way that should get you thinking about how to creatively promote your business. That's just one of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Most new Gridley businesses underestimate the number of challenges they will face.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Gridley and elsewhere to achieve real success. We want to be there for you to answer your business questions, whether you are a new Gridley entrepreneur who is just getting started or you are already up and running with your new venture.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Gridley, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Gridley.
- Resources for Gridley, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Gridley entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs