California Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Oakhurst, California
Contemplating starting a business in Oakhurst, California? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Oakhurst.
Is Becoming a Business Owner Right for You?
Before announcing to the world that you are going to start your own business, take inventory of your entrepreneurial instincts and capabilities.
Here are three things we recommend you do before you fully commit to starting a new business of your own.
- Grab a meal or cofee with other entrepreneurs in Oakhurst. Get their take on what it's really like to be an entrepreneur.
- Take a look at The Entrepreneurial Personality. It's a short article but it's a good reality check for those are about to jump into the world of entrepreneurship.
- Reach out to a trusted acquaintance. That's the best way to get a truly objective assessment as to whether others think you have what it takes.
What Business to Start
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. If you are struggling with what type of business to start, read Good Business Ideas.
For step-by-step instructions on starting a variety of business types, visit the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting an Audio & Video Recording Equipment & Supplies Business guide or our Starting an Employment Placement Consultants Business guide.
Always keep in mind that you are starting a business in Oakhurst. Some businesses will do better in Oakhurst than others. Make sure you fully understand Oakhurst demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Oakhurst, California Demographic Information
Oakhurst has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Oakhurst demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Oakhurst.
As a new Oakhurst entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Oakhurst for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Have You Considered Buying an Existing Oakhurst Business?
We've created a helpful website page for those who want to Buy a Business in California. Follow that link and you may find several good businesses for sale in Oakhurst.
For anybody who wants to buy a business, we recommend reading this useful article: Buying a Business.
Forming a Company in Oakhurst, California
It's very important that you form your business as a legal structure. Without a legal structure for the business, you can be held personally liable for the actions, debts and obligations of your company.
When forming a company, you will pick from many company types, such as a traditional C-corporation, a Limited Liability Company (LLC), or an S-corporation.
Incorporating is a very popular way to form a business. Of course, you have to decide which type of corporation to form and where to incorporate. If you are starting a business in California, it doesn't mean you are required to incorporate in California. In fact, you can incorporate in the state of your choosing. However, if you do incorporate in another state, you'll have to register as a foreign corporation in your home state.
There are many nuances to forming a company. To learn the basics of company formation, browse articles on our site, such as C Corp Versus S Corp. You may also want to seek the advice of an attorney. On a final note, since you will be starting a business in Oakhurst, California, our web page covering Incorporating in California may be a useful resource if you decide to incorporate in California.
Raising Money for Your New Venture
Raising money to fund your new Oakhurst business is not an easy task. Bootstrapping, which means growing the business without outside funding, is the best alternative, but that's not a viable option for many startup plans.
Take advantage of our many articles on raising capital, such as 504 Loans.
Marketing Your New Venture
Whether your goal is to attract Oakhurst customers or you plan on selling elsewhere, you need a solid marketing plan.
You can learn a ton about marketing on our site. Advertising on the Web is a good read to get your marketing creativity flowing. That's just one of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
You have a dream -- starting a business in Oakhurst. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
This site is all about helping entrepreneurs in Oakhurst and elsewhere to achieve real success. We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Oakhurst, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Oakhurst.
- Resources for Oakhurst, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Oakhurst entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
Starting-a-Business Guides for Other Cities in California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs