California Business Startup Guides
Opening a Business in Ventura, California
Contemplating starting a business in Ventura, California? We walk you through the process of opening a business in Ventura.
What Type of Business Should You Start?
An important decision is what kind of business you want to start. If you are struggling with what type of business to start, read Free Business Ideas.
If you still are not sure what type of business to start, peruse the Good Businesses to Start section of our site. For example, you might be interested in our Starting a Dance Club guide or our Starting a Tatoo Parlor guide.
Don't forget that you are starting a business in Ventura. Some businesses will do better in Ventura than others. Make sure you fully understand Ventura demographics before you lock in on your business idea.
Ventura, California Demographic Information
Ventura has an active business community that includes small businesses, mid-sized businesses and large businesses.
To give you a better feel for Ventura demographics for small businesses, we have tabulated the small business sizes, based on number of employees, for business in Ventura.
As a new Ventura entrepreneur, you may also be interested in the table below. It shows how many businesses there are in Ventura for each business category. By looking at this chart, you can get a general sense for how much competition there is in the business niche that you are pursuing.
Naming the Company
A good company name can give a big boost to a new startup. It might seem like an easy thing to do, but there are many things to consider when naming a business.
Companies like Starbucks, Apple, Target, Microsoft and Intuit all have strong company names that are easy to remember and have become well-loved brands. Wouldn't it be nice if your new company name got on a similar track?
For other considerations regarding naming a company, we recommend this article: Branding Advice.
There's one other important factor when naming a business. Since you are starting a business in Ventura, it's very important that you make sure your company name has not already been claimed by another California business.
Where to Get Money to Start a Company
Raising money to fund your new Ventura business will be harder than you might expect. To obtain business financing, you will need to hear a lot of rejections before you finally find a funding solution that works for you.
The good news is this site contains dozens of articles on raising money, including one we recommend entitled Business Line of Credit.
Marketing Your New Business
To grow your Ventura business, you'll need to have a good marketing plan.
We have some helpful resources on this site for entrepreneurs who are working on marketing plans. Billboard Advertising Best Practices is a good read to get your marketing ideas flowing. That's just one of the many useful articles we have on Marketing a Small Business.
Building Up Your Sales
Being able to sell is essential to your business success. Whether you are focused on selling local customers in Ventura or are selling to customers throughout California, the United States or even the world, you have to be able to sell.
Why should customers buy from you instead of buying from competitors? Let us help you refine your selling techniques through our many useful sales advice tips.
Never Give Up
You have a dream -- starting a business in Ventura. To achieve your dream, you have to persevere, even when the odds are against you.
If you choose the right business and love what you do, you will greatly increase your odds of success.
Our goal here is to promote the vitality and growth of small businesses in Ventura and throughout the United States . We have a wealth of experience in business start-ups, financing, marketing, sales and more...and we've made all of our knowledge available to you.
More Entrepreneurial Resources for Starting a Business in Ventura, California
Here are more links that we believe will help you be successful in starting a business in Ventura.
- Resources for Ventura, California Entrepreneurs - Browse a variety of resources we've collected to assist Ventura entrepreneurs.
- California Entrepreneurial Resources - We've gathered state-level entrepreneurial resources to help new entrepreneurs who are based in California.
- Fresno, California Small Business Development Center - The UC Merced SBDC Regional Network assists Central California entrepreneurs and small business owners through counseling, training and business information.
- Los Angeles, California Small Business Development Center - The Los Angeles Regional Small Business Development Center Network (LA SBDC Network) is part of the national, U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) effort to provide free one-on-one customized consulting services and low-cost training workshops to growing businesses and start-up businesses.
- Sacramento, California Small Business Development Center - As Northern California continues to grow demographically and economically, the Northeastern California Small Business Development Center (NECSBDC) at CSU, Chico is committed to helping communities prepare and plan for future growth.
- San Diego, California Small Business Development Center - The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at Southwestern College serves entrepreneurs and small businesses in San Diego and Imperial Counties. The SBDC provides no-cost business assistance to start-up & existing businesses.
- San Francisco, California Small Business Development Center - The Northern California Network of Small Business Development Centers helps individuals start, manage and grow their businesses.
- Orange County Small Business Development Center - The Orange County SBDC is a leader in providing consulting, training, and technical assistance to the small business community.
More Business Startup Guides for California
Share this article
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs