|| Home > Small Business News
Business News for Entrepreneurs
Small Business Technology News
Looking for a great source for small business technology news? You've come to the right place. Gaebler.com is your trusted source for business news for entrepreneurs and other excellent entrepreneur resources.
- Vermont Moves to Protect Businesses from Patent Trolls - 6/4/2013 - New legislation creates penalties for individuals who pursue dubious infringement claims against legitimate businesses.
- The Hidden Cost of "Involuntary" IT Employees - 5/24/2013 - Survey shows that informal IT managers cost small businesses approximately 300 hours per year in business productivity.
- Mobile Marketing to Add 1 Million Jobs to United States Economy by 2015 - 5/17/2013 - Trade association report predicts that jobs in mobile marketing will skyrocket, but returns on mobile advertising will decrease as lower income consumers adopt smartphones.
- Which Industry Is the Most Searched on Mobile Devices? - 4/29/2013 - New research shows that mobile users search for restaurants more than any other type of small business.
- Mobile Malware Up 163% in 2012 - 4/18/2013 - Study shows that malware on mobile devices more than doubled in 2012, increasing cyber security risks for small businesses.
- NASA Taps More Than Two Hundred Small Businesses for Possible Contract Awards - 4/8/2013 - Combined $38.7 million in potential contracts is the product of space agency's SBIR and STTR programs, designed to fill technology gaps in future missions.
- Technology Firm Outsourcing Hits Record High - 3/27/2013 - New study shows that nearly two out of three tech firms plan to outsource or manufacture outside the U.S. in 2013.
- Mobile Takes Center Stage for Business Buyers and Sellers - 3/25/2013 - BizBuySell.com reports that more and more entrepreneurs are using mobile devices to shop for new business ventures.
- Tablet Apps On Track to Overtake Smartphone App Revenue by 2018 - 3/18/2013 - ABI Research reports that tablets are rapidly gaining ground on smartphones and will generate 35 percent of app revenue in 2013.
- Wordpress Rolls Out New Product for Small Business Websites - 3/12/2013 - WordPress Business provides an easy-to-use, all-in-one small business website package designed to meet the needs of small business owners.
- Are Mobile Payment Solutions Worth the Risk? - 3/4/2013 - Mobile payment solutions are creating new point-of-sale opportunities -- and new risks -- for small business owners.
- Microsoft Office 365 Versus Google Apps for Business Battle Heats Up - 3/1/2013 - Microsoft this week announced a major update to its Microsoft Office 365 services for businesses. Business owners considering upgrading their productivity software will want to take a serious look at the newest releases of cloud-based Office 365.
- Why Mobile Operators Are Counting on Small and Medium Sized Businesses - 2/25/2013 - Mobile operators are targeting the profitable small and medium sized business market as the key to growth and future revenues.
- Chicago Technology Startups Raise $391 Million in 2012 - 2/18/2013 - Chicago tech firms experience solid growth during 2012, with fifty-nine firms collecting $1 million or more in investment funding.
- Retailers Fight Back Against Showrooming - 2/12/2013 - With more and more consumers using smartphones to price shop during in-store events, retailers are focusing on strategies to combat "showrooming".
- Data Quality and Integration Top the List of IT Pain Points for SMBs - 2/4/2013 - Scribe Software reports that despite advances in the use of CRM, data quality and data integration continue to challenge many small and medium-sized businesses
- Telecommuting Good for Businesses, Creates Longer Work Weeks for Employees - 1/14/2013 - New study shows that in general, telecommuting employees work longer hours than employees who work in the office.
- Big Data for Small Businesses - 12/26/2012 - Over the next ten years, insights gleaned from big data will enable entrepreneurs to make smarter business decisions, according to a recent Intuit forecast.
- Apple Crushes the Competition in the SMB Mobility Marketplace - 12/20/2012 - Intermedia reports that Apple's iOS operating system continues to outpace Android and other devices in small and medium-sized businesses.
- Fitness Market Drives Record Demand for mHealth Devices - 12/18/2012 - In 2012, the sports and fitness market propelled the sale of mobile-based health monitoring devices to 30 million units -- and according to experts, the market still hasn't peaked.
- The End of Free Google Apps for Small Businesses - 12/13/2012 - Online giant Google announces that small companies will have to start paying to use its online office productivity software.
- Explosion in Employee Smartphones Creates New Challenges for Employers - 11/26/2012 - The rapidly growing BYOD trend in workforce technology is creating increased costs and higher levels of risk for employers.
- 2013 SMB Spending: Think IT, Not Hiring - 11/23/2012 - Study of planned expenditures for SMBs in 2013 shows that small companies intend to invest in IT assets rather than hiring additional workers.
- Is BlackBerry Still Viable for Small Businesses? - 11/12/2012 - RIM begins testing a new line of BlackBerry devices as the Pentagon drops its exclusive contract with the beleaguered mobile provider.
- Digital Literacy Becomes a Core Skill for Small Business Employees - 11/8/2012 - A new report shows that more than half of small business employers consider digital literacy to be a required skill for all new hires.
- Will Small Businesses Embrace Windows 8? - 11/6/2012 - Hailed by some as the most significant changes to the Windows OS in years, the big question is whether small businesses will adopt Windows 8 or take a pass.
- Most Small Businesses Still Unprepared for Cyber Attacks, Says Survey - 10/25/2012 - Despite overwhelming awareness about cyber threats, four out of five small businesses have no formal cybersecurity plan.
- Consumers Extremely Satisfied with Tablet Devices, TVs - 10/16/2012 - Tablet devices are driving up customer satisfaction rates for PCs, while TVs and DVD players continue to have the highest rates of all durable goods categories.
- Two Out of Three Small Businesses Are Dependent on Mobile Technology for Competitive Advantages - 10/11/2012 - Mobility technology takes its place as an essential resource in small and medium-sized companies.
- Adding iPads to the SMB Sales Team - 9/25/2012 - As Apple stock climbs to $700 a share, iPads are making big gains in SMB sales teams. Mobile app provider FatStax offers tips to help your sales team make the most of iPad technology.
- One in Four New Small Business Customers Are Acquired Through Online or Social Media Channels - 9/18/2012 - Manta study shows that small business owners are achieving more benefits and value from online strategies than from face-to-face networking opportunities -- even though some still struggle to nail down the value of specific online tactics.
- Facebook: Not All "Likes" Are the Same - 9/10/2012 - Social media giant Facebook announces plan to aggressively root out "likes" that have been generated by automated tools.
- Smart Use of Digital Channels Can Boost Exports - 9/4/2012 - Company plans to grow exports should include a strong focus on digital strategies and a sensitivity to the unique attributes of each export market.
- How Automated Asset Tracking Benefits Small Businesses - 9/4/2012 - Asset tracking isn't a new concept for small businesses. But there are a lot of reasons why it may be time for small businesses to abandon manual tracking routines and adopt automated asset tracking technologies.
- New Legislation Aims to Protect Small Businesses from Patent Trolls - 8/13/2012 - The SHIELD Act would update patent laws and give business owners a level of protection against non-practicing entities or patent trolls.
- Pinterest Strategies for eCommerce Providers - 8/10/2012 - Pinterest's "pin-based" approach delivers advantages not available through Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms.
- Tablet Computer Ownership Skyrockets, Forces SMBs to Reconsider Online Marketing Strategies - 8/7/2012 - Report demonstrates consumers' willingness to embrace tablet devices for entertainment, social networking and digital brand connections.
- Best App Building Platforms for Small Businesses - 7/27/2012 - Top app-building platforms equip small businesses to compete with larger companies in the mobile marketplace.
- New Apps for Small Businesses - 7/19/2012 - The best new apps for small businesses are targeting productivity gains, collaboration and user convenience in the workplace.
- Retailers Push for Increased Use of Technology - 7/3/2012 - New research shows that technology is taking center stage in brick-and-mortar retailers' efforts to compete with online providers and meet other challenges.
- Small Business Owners Are Staying Connected to the Workplace, Even During Summer Vacation - 6/29/2012 - Technology is enabling small business owners to work remotely and maintain an office presence while they are away on vacation, sometimes for as long as a month.
- Hispanics and African Americans Lead the Marketplace in Embracing Mobile Shopping - 6/28/2012 - Hispanic and African-Americans are among the earliest adopters of mobile shopping technologies.
- Online Workers in the New Global Economy - 6/20/2012 - New Elance global survey shows a major shift toward online hiring as 73% of small businesses plan to hire online contractors in 2012.
- Study Highlights Gaps Between Aging SMB Technology Infrastructure and Growing Security Threats - 6/12/2012 - Remote workers, wireless networks and firewalls are the biggest security concerns for owners of small and medium-sized businesses.
- Mobile Payments Poised to Make Big Gains in the Consumer Marketplace - 6/2/2012 - New research by CreditDonkey.com shows consumer trend toward mobile payments and other shopping preferences that present both opportunities and challenges for traditional retailers.
- Disaster Preparedness Drives SMBs to Embrace Virtualization, Cloud and Mobility Technology - 5/20/2012 - New study cites close connection between disaster preparedness concerns and SMBs' willingness to adopt new technologies.
- CIO Budgets and IT Investments On the Rise - 5/18/2012 - Harvey Nash/Telecity Group study shows that CIOs are once again targeting strategic growth and technology investment opportunities.
- Rising Tablet Usage Presents Opportunities and Challenges for Small Businesses - 4/24/2012 - Consumers are using iPads and Android tablets differently than smartphones, forcing small and medium-sized businesses to re-examine their mobile eCommerce strategies.
- Broadband Internet Helps Drive Business Startups, Says Study - 4/23/2012 - On average, U.S. small business startups save more than $16K thanks to the benefits of broadband Internet access.
- Cloud Adoption Skyrocketing Among SMBs, According to Microsoft Research - 4/18/2012 - New study by Microsoft predicts significant short-term increases in the adoption of cloud-based solutions by small and medium-sized businesses.
- SMB Mobile Devices Present Serious Threats to System Integrity and Data Security - 4/13/2012 - Most SMB IT managers are unable to keep pace with the rate of new mobile security threats in their organizations.
- Groupon announces "Scheduler" tool for small businesses - 3/22/2012 - Deal-of-the-day provider releases web-based feature to streamline small business appointments.
- PayPal slated to announce new digital wallet - 3/13/2012 - One of the Internet's largest online payment providers will release details about a completely redesigned digital wallet at this week's SXSW conference in Austin.
- Mobile apps for hotel managers - 3/5/2012 - A series of mobile apps is dramatically improving hotel managements' visibility to important operational information.
- SMB Business Intelligence migrating to the cloud - 2/27/2012 - Nearly half of SMBs report an intention to pursue cloud-based business intelligence over the next twelve months.
- SMBs face high security risks from employee mobile devices - 2/22/2012 - New study reveals the extent of the massive security threat posed by Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policies.
- SMBs becoming increasingly reliant on tablets, 4G devices and other mobile technologies - 2/16/2012 - A new AT&T poll shows that virtually every small business uses some form of wireless technology -- and most say they couldn't survive without it.
- New survey reveals high demand for tablet devices and air travel among small business owners - 2/11/2012 - Mobile technology and travel deals top the list of purchases targeted by U.S. small business owners in the next twelve months.
- Consumerization of IT is an equalizer for global SMBs - 2/8/2012 - International Data Corp. (IDC) survey reveals that SMBs in developing countries leverage employee-owned devices as a competitive advantage.
- Facebook IPO: Lessons for Small Businesses - 2/2/2012 - As Facebook files a monster IPO, small and medium-sized businesses can learn important lessons from the risks that are inherent in the social media giant's investment strategy.
- Entrepreneur relationships with technology can damage productivity and personal lives - 1/22/2012 - Business expert says that small changes in the use of common technologies can make entrepreneurs more productive and sane.
- Small businesses divided over SOPA, online copyright issues - 1/18/2012 - As Wikipedia and other sites go dark to protest SOPA, a small war is being waged in the small business community over online copyrights issues.
- CES 2012 offers SMBs a glimpse into current tech trends - 1/9/2012 - At this week's 2012 Consumer Electronics Show, entrepreneurs can expect to see a trend of refinement of existing consumer technologies rather than large-scale electronics innovation.
- QR codes gaining ground with consumers and brands - 1/5/2012 - Rising consumer interest in QR codes is launching a wave of creative new marketing campaigns by retailers and brands.
- Technology tips for small business owners in 2012 - 12/27/2011 - The race for growth and efficiency is leading many SMB owners to re-evaluate their technology strategies as they enter 2012.
- Apps for Entrepreneurs Challenge creates new mobile apps for small business owners - 12/22/2011 - SBA competition results in mobile apps that deliver anywhere, anytime information and resources to small business users.
- Cell phone viruses and malware prove challenging to SMB IT departments - 12/15/2011 - The recent wave of malicious Android apps highlights security and stability issues associated with the use of mobile devices in the small business workplace.
- Thailand floods mean higher hard drive prices and rising small business IT costs - 12/13/2011 - Recent floods in Thailand have sharply cut the world's supply of disk drives, resulting in higher prices for PCs, external hard drives and other technology mainstays purchased frequently by small and mid-sized companies.
- Businesses contemplate Windows 8 upgrade - 12/8/2011 - With the first broadly available test version of Windows 8 -- a new iteration of Microsoft's flagship operating system -- coming in late February 2012, businesses are starting to wonder when and if they should switch to Windows 8.
- Small businesses experiencing a cybercrime epidemic - 12/5/2011 - The cost of fraud and cyber attacks against businesses are mounting as nearly one in two businesses impacted by cyber attacks over the past year.
- NASA chooses 300 SMB research and technology projects for possible contract awards - 12/1/2011 - Space agency's competitive awards-based programs are designed to encourage small businesses to engage in federal research, development and commercialization.
- Global smartphone usage highlights challenges, opportunities for small businesses - 11/29/2011 - As the global smartphone adoption rate approaches 30%, small businesses are being forced to adapt their strategies to accommodate the mobile marketplace.
- Apple iPhone surpasses Blackberry in the workplace - 11/18/2011 - Study reveals that iPhones now reign supreme as the preferred smartphone for workers and managers.
- Best Buy acquires mindSHIFT in effort to boost cloud computing services - 11/8/2011 - Best Buy's acquisition of cloud services provider mindSHIFT positions them to make a larger impact with small and medium-sized businesses.
- Loss of data top concern for Americans, and SMBs can protect info with easy steps - 11/1/2011 - SMBs need to protect themselves from data threats.
- SMBs can use online marketing for affordable advertisements - 11/1/2011 - With tight budgets and a weak economy, cost-effective online marketing campaigns are helping small businesses remain competitive without breaking the bank.
- Cloud based phone services increase in popularity with SMBs - 10/27/2011 - The latest version of advanced communication technology is becoming more available to small businesses.
- A quarter of small businesses hate social media - 10/26/2011 - Social media has become a major marketing tool for businesses of all sizes, but some SMBs have yet to embrace the technology.
- SMBs not as safe as they think online - 10/26/2011 - Most small business owners understand the importance of strong cyber security for the protection of sensitive company information and data from online hackers. But few owners have taken the time to establish formal policies and implement technology to prevent attacks both from within the office and from external hackers.
- Teaching small businesses how to harness the power of Facebook - 10/24/2011 - Facebook has more than 20 million users, and small businesses should learn how to reach out to new customers in this population as a marketing strategy.
- Google helping small businesses gain visibility - 10/20/2011 - Small businesses should have an online presence so consumers can access product and service information. Once a website has been created, it should be filled with keywords so the company has a high ranking on search engine results.
- SMBS use social media to make important business connections - 10/19/2011 - Small businesses should connect with other owners to share ideas, resources and make valuable business contacts.
- Small businesses finding success with social media - 10/17/2011 - SMBs should take advantage of cost-effective social media sites to interact with consumers and drive up awareness of products and services.
- New online resource provides SMBS owners with education and insight - 10/12/2011 - Most small business owners can benefit from further guidance and mentoring in various aspects of the business such as finance and marketing.
- SMB confidence improves in September - 10/12/2011 - The overall confidence in the small and medium-sized business sector improved modestly in September. One way small businesses can feel more confident about their company's well-being is by implementing necessary safety measures to protect valuable data and information from cyber attacks.
- Digital suggestions to boost small businesses' consumer reach - 10/10/2011 - While it is important for small businesses to keep tight budgets in the current economic climate, it is vital they remain on the cutting-edge of digital technology so as to remain competitive in the marketplace.
- Printing and mailing solutions to keep small businesses running - 10/7/2011 - Small businesses are always looking for ways to reduce their costs. The UPS store and a check printing company are finding ways to help small businesses cut costs and remain competitive.
- SMB social media courses show how technology can increase profits - 10/6/2011 - Using social media can help small businesses reach new customers, increase sales and effectively brand their company. The first step to using social media successfully is understanding how it works and what techniques will best suit the company's product or service.
- Tips for SMBs looking to expand into the digital sphere - 10/6/2011 - Modern technology allows SMBs to interact with consumers in cost-effective ways. It is important small business owners understand the value of digital communication tools and how to properly utilize them to help their companies prosper.
- Solutions to help SMBs run smoothly - 10/5/2011 - Small business owners can always benefit from helpful technology and new learning opportunities to help their companies grow.
- SMBs see payoff in going green - 9/29/2011 - Renewable energy and eco-friendly innovation are expected to drive economic growth in the future. Small businesses should embrace new technologies and greener practices to help spur job creation.
- SMBs not checking their website security - 9/27/2011 - New research found SMBs are not taking the necessary precautions to safeguard their company data and digital accounts. This can harm their relationship with consumers and clients, as well as leave the company vulnerable to cyber attacks.
- Verizon working to help small businesses grow - 9/23/2011 - Verizon Wireless is working with small businesses to find solutions for common challenges SMBs face, such as making it easy for consumers to search for the business.
- Poll finds small businesses support clean energy laws - 9/22/2011 - The rising costs of doing business are greatly hurting many small business owners. In response, SMBs have shown strong support for environmental initiatives such as clean energy laws and higher standards for automakers.
- SMBs should harness social media to reach customers while saving money - 9/21/2011 - Social media accounts are an inexpensive way for SMBs to reach customers without breaking marketing budgets. Social networking sites allow businesses to personalize their profiles to offer as much or as little information as the company is comfortable sharing.
- Cloud computing for SMBs - 9/20/2011 - Cloud-based technology is working to help business cut costs while improving efficiency. Many public cloud-based programs, such as Microsoft's Office 365, can help small businesses compete with larger companies.
- Maximizing SMB social media investment - 9/20/2011 - SMBs must work on building a successful social media campaign that engages customers and promotes their business. To ensure the campaign is a success, SMBs should set goals for each account and offer relevant information to consumers.
- Facebook friending SMBs - 9/19/2011 - The social networking giant Facebook is looking to attract more small business advertising similar to the Google pay-per-click campaign. COO Sheryl Sandberg is ready to unveil a new plan to attract SMB business and boost the economy.
- SMBs not prepared for a data disaster - 9/16/2011 - Small businesses must protect their valuable data from natural disasters as well as cyber attacks. The best way to prevent data loss is to proactively seek the most up-to-date security options that meet the company's needs.
- Study: SMBs demanding mobility and cloud based applications - 9/15/2011 - SMBs are creating more mobile workplaces to enhance flexibilityfor employees. In order to remain productive will working remotely, companies are starting to implement unified communications.
- Harnessing online tools can produce big results for small businesses - 9/14/2011 - Small businesses are actively seeking new ways to engage customers without breaking marketing budgets. A strong online presence can enhance communications with consumers and increase revenue.
- SMBs should protect against identity theft - 9/14/2011 - Identity theft is no longer just a worry for consumers as more small businesses are being hacked every day.
- New marketing strategies for SMBs shows social media at the top - 9/14/2011 - Social media sites like LinkedIn provide SMBs with opportunities to market their business while making professional connections.
- SMBs need to reach consumers via social media - 9/14/2011 - Facebook and other social media have a powerful customer service aspect that SMBs should take advantage of.
- Google works to get small businesses online - 9/13/2011 - Google and Intuit are offering free seminars to SMBs in an effort to educate them on the benefits of an online presence.
- Program may help small businesses get into international exporting - 8/12/2011 - A hosted software solution is poised to make exporting and importing much easier for business owners.
- What Apple's iCloud could mean for small business - 8/10/2011 - Small businesses that use Apple computers will find value in a new offering from Apple.
- Website critical to the success of business - 8/9/2011 - Small business website quality can determine whether a business fails or is successful. Businesses that don't have a website, or that have a low-quality website, may be in for a rude awakening.
- Small businesses can social media to recruit new talent - 8/6/2011 - Using social media to recruit new employees is a smart move, and the tactic is becoming increasingly popular with small business owners.
- Tablets could be very useful for small businesses - 8/5/2011 - Tablet devices from Apple, Blackberry and other manufacturers are gaining a foothold in some small businesses.
- Businesses must teach employees what content belongs on social media - 8/5/2011 - Social media has been a boon for small businesses. But social media updates also have the potential unleash competitive vulnerabilities.
- Small businesses need to be careful with scam emails - 8/4/2011 - Phishing and other scams are serious threats for SMBs that haven't implemented defenses against cyber fraud.
- National Security Agency wants more cybersecurity contracts to small businesses - 8/2/2011 - After July's Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship committee hearings, the news for small businesses was that the National Security Agency wanted to award them more cybersecurity contracts, according to a report in Fierce Government.
- Most IT managers say their small business needs technology updates - 7/27/2011 - IT problems on the rise as small businesses prioritize cost-cutting over technology purchases and upgrades.
- Small businesses to spend more on IP telephones in next four years - 7/25/2011 - Offices with between one and four employees are expected to increase spending on broadband IP telephone services by 83 percent between 2010 and 2015.
- Intel's social media specialist: Small businesses need social media plan that works for them - 7/20/2011 - While there hasn't been much clear news for small businesses on which way to take their social media campaign, Jesse Thomas' Forbes blog spoke with Intel's social media strategist Ekaterina Walter, who said businesses need to see what works for them.
- NFIB warns small businesses about open Wi Fi networks - 7/19/2011 - Wi-Fi access is a competitive advantage, but it may be created legal hazards for your small business.
- PR Newswire offers advice on using using Twitter for marketing - 7/15/2011 - Savvy entrepreneurs are learning how to "tweet" their way to small business success. Here's how to effectively use Twitter to benefit your company.
- Half of small business owners don't use social media, poll says - 7/15/2011 - Nearly half of all small businesses aren't tapping into the marketing and product awareness benefits of social media.
- Forbes offers small businesses insight into Google+ - 7/14/2011 - Overwhelmed by social media? The launch of Google+ presents a new social media challenge for small businesses.
- IT education service said small businesses may benefit from cloud computing - 7/13/2011 - Cloud computing may give small businesses the ability to more effectively compete with larger companies.
- Most small businesses work as mobile businesses - 7/13/2011 - Technology advances are behind a growing trend toward mobile small business work environments.
- Botnet takedowns ease small business spam problems - 7/6/2011 - Efforts to combat global botnets yield big gains for small businesses in the areas of online security and email marketing.
- Small businesses may soon be on Google+ - 7/5/2011 - The emergence of Google+ means even more changes for small businesses that recognize the value of social media marketing strategies.
- Small business owners do not have their heads in the cloud - 6/30/2011 - Despite the potential benefits, the small business community is surprisingly slow to adopt cloud technology solutions.
- New Google tools to build mobile sites - 6/29/2011 - Google has made it easier for small businesses to build mobile-friendly web pages.
- Microsoft appeals to small business customers with Office 365 - 6/29/2011 - Microsoft's cloud-based Office 365 could be a game-changer for small businesses.
- New tools empower small businesses to market through social media - 6/22/2011 - VerticalResponse introduces tools to help small businesses use social media.
- Social media key communication tool for small business owners - 6/20/2011 - Deluxe survey finds many small business owners poised to use social media, but Zoomerang survey finds few are.
- Small businesses turning to third parties for tech help - 6/17/2011 - Small businesses need outside tech help, survey finds.
- New blog to focus on small business news, issues - 6/16/2011 - A new small business-related blog has been launched on Forbes.com.
- Unique domain suffixes on the horizon - 6/10/2011 - Small businesses may benefit from custom domain suffixes for their websites.
- New SBA tool for small business exporters - 6/10/2011 - The SBA is offering a new free tool to help small businesses launch export operations.
- NASA provider reaches Phase II of SBIR - 6/8/2011 - NASA's Small Business Innovation Research Program has provided Phase II funding to a Cambridge, Massachusetts-based corporation.
- Small businesses must recognize mobile movement - 6/6/2011 - Small businesses should prepare to embrace the mobile payment movement, but exercise caution when creating a business plan.
- Accounting software, social media modernize small businesses - 6/3/2011 - Small businesses owners should acquaint themselves with modern technology to stay competitive.
- Small business IT spending to rise in 2011 - 6/1/2011 - Small to medium-sized businesses and consumers are expected to invest heavily in IT in the coming years.
- Small business wins prize for cold plasma shipping technology - 5/31/2011 - A mail parcel sterilization technology won a $22,000 prize courtesy of the Coastal Bend Business Plan competition.
- Military testing lab to aid in small business product integration - 5/31/2011 - Global security company Northrop Grumman hopes to capitalize on the construction of a testing lab for small businesses' military products.
- Asigra and Intel team up to help SMBs move to the Cloud - 5/27/2011 - Two companies are teaming up to provide cloud computing solutions to small businesses.
- Small businesses receive funding from EPA - 5/26/2011 - The EPA has awarded $2.25 million to 10 small businesses to develop environmentally-friendly solutions to some of today's problems.
- Mobile app designed to assist small businesses - 5/24/2011 - Small business owners can receive tips and updates about starting or improving their company with a new smartphone app.
- New York online marketing firm makes SEO focused acquisition - 5/24/2011 - Merger connects online marketing firm and SEO service.
- Website addresses Charlotte's small business needs - 5/19/2011 - Small businesses in Charlotte, North Carolina, stand to benefit from a resource website developed by local government.
- IRS offers tax loopholes for small businesses - 5/18/2011 - IRS webinar provides pertinent information about taxes for small businesses.
- FCC releases cybercrime protection recommendations for small businesses - 5/17/2011 - The Federal Communications Commission offers helpful tips for small businesses on how to protect their companies from cybercrime.
- California small businesses pad their marketing budgets - 5/12/2011 - Small business owners have greatly increased their social media use over the past year.
- Some small businesses hesitant to embrace social media - 5/11/2011 - Canadian small businesses are behind the curve when it comes to properly and effectively utilizing social media.
- Small businesses vie for NASA contract - 5/10/2011 - NASA program looks for technology and innovation assistance from small businesses.
- Technologically advanced businesses can save money in 2011 - 5/6/2011 - Technology can be a small business owner's best friend if he or she utilizes it correctly.
- Government grants aid in small business growth - 5/6/2011 - Small businesses in California are benefiting from government-funded research programs, notes The Los Angeles Times.
- Tablet computers to replace laptops? - 4/29/2011 - A survey from the Business Journals marks the growth of tablet computers.
- Google introduces new 'Flexible Plan' for Apps for Business - 4/27/2011 - Small businesses now can opt to sign up for Google Apps for Business on a month-to-month basis.
- Less than a quarter of small businesses measure website traffic - 4/26/2011 - While more than half of businesses are happy with their websites, less than one-quarter monitor traffic.
- Could crowdsourcing replace the traditional interview? - 4/25/2011 - Crowdsourcing can help businesses find workers through online competitions and queries.
- Small biz tech sector plans to hire in 2011 - 4/22/2011 - A survey finds that 83 percent of tech-based startups plan to increase hiring this year.
- NASA announces winners of $16.2 million in small business tech contracts - 4/20/2011 - NASA announces Phase II winners of its Small Business Technology Transfer program.
- Small business websites unprepared for increase in traffic, survey finds - 4/13/2011 - A recent survey revealed that nearly three-fourths of small businesses would not be able to hand a 200 percent increase in traffic to their websites.
- BlackBerry launches mobile conferencing app - 4/8/2011 - RIM's BlackBerry offers small business owners new mobile conferencing options.
- Tablet growth plagued by lack of policy, applications - 4/7/2011 - A new survey from Techaisle reveals that nearly 9 million SMBs are using tablet computers.
- Cloud computing to grow among small businesses over next three years, survey says - 3/28/2011 - A new survey from Microsoft finds that the number of small businesses who use cloud computing services is expected to increase by 34 percent in the next three years.
- SCORE launches technology website for small businesses - 3/22/2011 - E-business NOW website helps small businesses leverage technology.
- Tablet computers growing in popularity among small business owners - 3/22/2011 - With the release of the iPad 2, tablet computers are getting more attention from small business owners.
- Survey: Mobile apps integral to small business operations - 3/16/2011 - Nearly three-quarters of small business owners report they use mobile apps as part of their business operations.
- Expedited patent process to increase small business innovation - 3/10/2011 - Senate approves expediting patents to small businesses.
- Small Business Web brings entrepreneurs technology directory - 3/4/2011 - New online directory offers small business owners centralized location to find technology providers.
- IPad apps converting more small business owners to Apple from Microsoft - 3/2/2011 - Apple iPad apps persuading more small business owners to switch to the tech giant from Microsoft.
- Apple to appeal to small business owners with new package - 2/28/2011 - Apple is hoping to appeal to the small business sector with its new package, called Joint Venture.
- New Google algorithm shakes up the Web - 2/24/2011 - Forget rising oil prices. A new Google algorithm may have a bigger impact on the economic fortunes of many companies.
- Windows Small Business Server 2011 offers key upgrades for owners - 2/24/2011 - The 2011 edition of Windows Small Business Server combines all the best elements of past versions.
- Facebook tests ads to improve user targeting - 2/21/2011 - Facebook is currently asking users to tell them which ad they like best in a new test.
- Pixability helps small businesses create video campaigns - 2/18/2011 - Pixability helps small businesses produce online video content using Flip video cameras and online tools.
- Inventor and co founder of Qualcomm surges support of high tech small business program - 2/17/2011 - Qualcomm co-founder and inventor Irwin Mark Jacobs is urging to approve more funding for the Small Business Innovation Research program.
- Connecticut company to help minority and women owned businesses pay energy bills - 2/16/2011 - A program from Dominion will offer minority- and women-owned small businesses grants of up to $1,000 to help pay for electricity bills.
- Apps to help small business owners network - 2/14/2011 - Small business owners are turning to smartphone apps to help them network and meet other entrepreneurs.
- Small business groups seek delay of new electricity rates from PG&E - 2/10/2011 - The California Small Business Association seeks to delay rate changes for small companies from PG&E.
- Microsoft to win cloud wars? - 2/7/2011 - Forbes blogger Gene Marks predicts that small business owners' familiarity with Microsoft will help the software company win the cloud competition.
- Arizona business leaders praise President's focus on technology and innovation - 1/27/2011 - Arizona small business leaders praise President Barack Obama's focus on improving technologies, such as clean energy, as part of his economic plan.
- Google AdWords surprises small businesses with marketing and tech loot - 1/25/2011 - Four lucky businesses received $100,000 in AdWords credit, smartphones, laptops and professional expertise, thanks to Google AdWords.
- Fast 4G networks to expand tasks small business owners can do from mobile devices - 1/21/2011 - 4G networks set to help small business owners speed up operations and complete new tasks via their mobile devices.
- IPhone catching up to BlackBerry in popularity among small businesses - 1/20/2011 - Small business owners still choose BlackBerry as their No. 1 smartphone.
- Mobile devices to be essential for small businesses in coming years - 1/17/2011 - As smartphone penetration is expected to reach 50 percent in 2011, U.S. small business owners should look to how mobile strategies can benefit them and their businesses.
- Survey: Small businesses must improve data security knowledge - 1/13/2011 - A recent survey indicates that data security is severely lacking in many small businesses, threatening their ability to adequately protect themselves against credit card fraud.
- Technology allows for greater flexibility in small business owners' lives - 1/6/2011 - Today's small business owners are some of the most tech savvy individuals around. In fact, according to a recent survey by Discover card, these individuals lead smartphone penetration, with 34 percent owning one, compared to only 26 percent of consumers.
- Stacking up free email services for small business - 12/29/2010 - Different sites offer different features for entrepreneurs
- New products for small businesses in 2011 - 12/29/2010 - Technology expert lays out exciting new introductions
- SBA unveils new site - 12/26/2010 - SBA introduces new features to webpage, will allow entrepreneurs to access information more quickly
- Small business owners increase mobile phone use - 12/20/2010 - 33 percent of those surveyed said they used devices 'very often'
- SBA launches social networking tools - 12/20/2010 - New platforms include a Twitter account and Facebook page
- Small businesses using online tools for marketing - 12/15/2010 - Nine out of ten small business owners said that online technology played a big role
- SBA and Microsoft launch new small business tool - 12/14/2010 - Business Technology Simplified seeks to help entrepreneurs
- Small business owners using more social media than ever - 12/10/2010 - Discover survey finds that 59 percent of small business owners use some form of social
- Intelius introduces new tool for small businesses - 12/7/2010 - Company unveils TrueRep
- Sanction waiver helps small businesses - 11/23/2010 - Planson International Corporation to provide computers to Sudan
- Small businesses get free service to hire veterans - 11/19/2010 - Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce to offer online service
- OfficeDrop introduces cloud technology for small business owners - 11/19/2010 - Company introduces Desktop Cloud Connector App
- Free virus protection for small business owners now available - 11/18/2010 - Microsoft is equipping small business owners with free virus protection solutions.
- Mobile apps are important for small businesses - 11/18/2010 - More entrepreneurs than ever are using smartphone applications
- New phone service gives small business owners feedback without the hassle - 11/16/2010 - Free Phone Surveys offers service to entrepreneurs
- Avaya introduces new office product for small business - 11/15/2010 - IP Office Release 6.1 will help entrepreneurs work more efficiently
- New technology allows small business owners 'instant' access to files - 11/12/2010 - Splashtop introduces InstantView application
- Verizon's small business site gets top ranking - 11/9/2010 - Telecommunications giant's site lauded in a Compass Intelligence survey
- U.S. Bank teams up with Information Builders - 11/5/2010 - Bank will use IB's WebFOCUS
- Windows Small Business Server 2011 gives new tools to entrepreneurs - 11/5/2010 - Product is already being used by 9,000 small businesses
- Majority of small business owners see computer security as a priority - 11/4/2010 - Sixty-nine percent of those surveyed said that they were worried about getting a computer virus
- Whale Hunters launches new small business advice site - 11/3/2010 - Pier9 will give small businesses a chance to compete with larger competition
- Cbeyond links with Texas based IT provider - 10/29/2010 - Company will partner with HBR Technologies
- Google adds small business feature to 'Place' page - 10/29/2010 - Internet giant introduces 'Boost'
- Company offers small business receptionist service - 10/18/2010 - Service will answer calls 24-hours a day
- CDW names new small business VP - 10/18/2010 - Jill Billhorn will focus on small business issues for the technology product provider
- IT company announces small business social media awards - 10/18/2010 - AMI-Partners will host the first annual Small and Medium Business Media Marketing Awards in November
- AVG Technologies introduces free antivirus program for small businesses - 10/12/2010 - Internet security firm commits to helping entrepreneurs
- Constant Contact will present at small business conference - 10/7/2010 - Event for entrepreneurs will take place in Chicago
- Moody's creates online small business tool - 9/30/2010 - Credit rating agency introduces Small Business Information Zone
- Microsoft to make security program free for small business - 9/24/2010 - Microsoft Security Essentials will be able to run on genuine Windows software
- Cisco introduces technology solutions for small business - 9/22/2010 - Technology giant seeks to make communication for entrepreneurs easier
- Technology tour gives expert advice to small business owners - 9/17/2010 - Tour will visit DC, Boston, Atlanta and Mountain View, California
- AT&T launches 'All for Less' system for small business - 9/15/2010 - Telecom giant introduces savings program for entrepreneurs
- Epson America introduces small business products - 9/9/2010 - A new line of items from Epson America are specifically designed to help small businesses.
- Alterian acquires social media analytics firm - 9/1/2010 - Alterian has acquired social media analytics and market research firm Intrepid.
- H&R Block, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas City introduce health tax credit calculator - 8/26/2010 - New tool will help small businesses figure out how much they can save.
- Focus group focuses on small business tech concerns - 8/25/2010 - Support.com study reveals small business owners want 24-hour service.
- Website introduces beta version for small business owners, developers - 8/20/2010 - OPENapps will give developers more flexibility.
- Microsoft previews new small business server - 8/19/2010 - Computer giant unviels 'Aurora'.
- Intel introduces Atom for small business - 8/17/2010 - New product will help entrepreneurs with digital storage.
- New security forum for small business - 8/6/2010 - VeriSign introduces SMB Internet Security Clinic.
- Small business owners care about free shipping, survey says - 8/5/2010 - Staples survey reveals 99 percent of online buyers care about the free service.
- Company gives small businesses a chance to create iPhone Apps - 8/3/2010 - Bizness Apps has inexpensive tool for creating applications.
- More small businesses may opt for Google apps after government agency endorsement - 7/28/2010 - Based on its recent government approval, expert says Google Apps are ready for business.
- Android better than iPhone for small business, according to expert. - 7/27/2010 - Google's smartphone beats Apple competitor when it comes to creating applications.
- Apple to enter small business market - 7/26/2010 - Technology company planning to cater to small businesses.
- Parallels introduces new cloud capabilities following study - 7/20/2010 - Company introduces new cloud-enabled features.
- Few small businesses reach for the 'cloud' - 7/19/2010 - In a recent survey most small businesses lack familiarity with cloud computing.
- Study reveals more than half of businesses use social networks to hire employees - 7/15/2010 - Social media more important than ever for small businesses when looking to hire new employees.
- Microsoft announces WebMatrix - 7/9/2010 - Microsoft introduces new, easy to use website creation software.
- Proposed bill would give government computers to small businesses - 6/25/2010 - Proposed legislation aims to give small business owners easier access to broadband internet and newer computers.
- Intuit crash reminds small business owners to be cautious - 6/23/2010 - The recent server crash that affected Intuit customers is a reminder of the issues inherant with cloud technologies.
- Small business owners increasingly turning to web for technology purposes - 6/15/2010 - More small businesses are skipping retail stores and making their technology purchases online instead.
- Healthcare reform legislation may create "paperwork overload" for small businesses - 6/10/2010 - Many small businesses may feel pressured to switch to an electronic accounting program due to a provision in the recently passed healthcare legislation.
- Study finds web savvy entrepreneurs are more successful - 6/7/2010 - Small business owners with higher levels of internet involvement are more successful, according to a new study by American City Business Journals.
- HP announces new IT products for small businesses - 6/4/2010 - HP aims to improve small business IT infrastructure in a new partnership with Microsoft.
- Spiceworks suvey: Improvement in small business IT expected in 2010 - 5/28/2010 - Improvements are expected in the small business IT sector following a difficult end to 2009, a recent survey said.
- Google claims it has been good, not bad for small businesses - 5/27/2010 - Facing accusations of anti-competitive behavior, Google this week argued that it has actually helped small businesses.
- More small businesses may upgrade software ahead of new law - 5/20/2010 - New requirements for reporting purchases could inspire small businesses to upgrade their record-keeping software.
- Fast growing SaaS technology will help small businesses - 5/11/2010 - Software-as-a-service technology is poised to help small businesses as it becomes more popular.
- Small businesses will spend more on technology, Microsoft partners say - 4/22/2010 - Microsoft's partners say small businesses will spend more on technology this year.
- Small business could lead the way on low carbon future - 4/21/2010 - A representative from the Department of Energy says small businesses will be important for future clean-energy jobs.
- Entrepreneur site MerchantCircle teams up with Answerbag.com - 4/16/2010 - Entrepreneurial social network MerchantCircle has partnered with Answerbag.com to provide expert advice.
- Constant Contact joins SCORE consortium to improve broadband for small businesses - 4/6/2010 - Constant Contact has joined the broadband access consortium put together by SCORE.
- U.S. Air Force briefs small business owners on desired technological advances - 3/31/2010 - The Air Force is looking to small businesses to advance its technological capabilities.
- Minimizing wireless security threats to small businesses - 3/24/2010 - With new threats affecting wireless communications, knowing how to protect yourself is important.
- Study: Small businesses see wireless technology as necessary for survival - 3/23/2010 - AT&T reveals that small businesses are increasingly dependent on wireless technology.
- Digital signage boom good news for small businesses - 2/24/2010 - Trends favoring digital signage reveal significant benefits for small companies interested in stretching their advertising dollars.
- Small businesses potential target of cyber criminals - 2/24/2010 - Small businesses are seen as extremely vulnerable targets for cyber fraud, malware and malicious online activities.
- Choosing the right CRM solution crucial for small businesses - 2/23/2010 - Experts advise small business owners to select a CRM company that can relate to their needs and critical business objectives, which often means opting for a smaller, local provider.
- Social media adoption by small businesses doubles - 2/18/2010 - Small businesses are embracing social media as an excellent tool for promoting and growing a business. New statistics on small business use of social marketing tools suggest that small business social media usage is accelerating.
- Good news for small businesses can be found in the cloud - 2/16/2010 - Small businesses are getting better access to productivity applications, such as Wordpress, SugarCRM and Droopal. A partnership between GoDaddy and Parallels is making it easier for small businesses to get access to IT apps that are powered by cloud computing.
- New digital business models might bring new life to small businesses - 2/1/2010 - Small businesses might benefit from incorporating digital platforms into their business models.
- Study shows small business owners prefer passive social media - 1/18/2010 - A survey reveals that SMB owners enjoy social media news that doesn't require participation.
- Study shows nearly half of small businesses don't have websites - 1/15/2010 - Entrepreneur magazine reports that multiple surveys reveal almost 50 percent of SMBs lack a website.
- Small business gadgets generate big buzz at CES - 1/7/2010 - This year's CES has a lot of gadgets that might interest entrepreneurs.
- Elance rewards online workers - 12/17/2009 - 'New Way to Work' contest winners find it pays to work from home.
- Study says ICT venders should cater to SMBs - 12/14/2009 - ICT venders will develop new interactive media to cater to their growing SMB clientele.
- SMBs advised to protect against piracy suits - 12/11/2009 - Piracy suits should be a concern for SMB owners, says the BSA.
- Small Biz Tech Makeover contest winners receive IT support - 12/2/2009 - AT&T recently announced Small Biz Tech Makeover contest winners.
- SMB technology purchases down - 11/24/2009 - Wells Fargo/ Gallup Small Business Index reports that SMB technology purchases are down.
- Verizon calls Droid smartphone a 'consumer phone' - 11/3/2009 - This consumer smartphone may make even business users switch from the iPhone.
- Smartphones for businesses getting cheaper, iPhone is still the favorite - 10/30/2009 - More than one-quarter of smartphones now cost less than $200.
- Swine flu could put the internet under stress - 10/30/2009 - Small businesses may struggle to deal with swine flu this fall.
- Motorola Droid from Verizon gives business users a new anti iPhone - 10/29/2009 - Droid from Verizon targets iPhone users in new ads.
- Business users warned of BlackBerry PhoneSnoop spying app - 10/28/2009 - BlackBerry app can spy on phone conversations.
- GeoCities closes, but small businesses have web hosting options - 10/27/2009 - Free web hosting ends for GeoCities, one of web's first breakthrough services.
- Small Businesses Plan to Deploy Windows 7 Quickly - 10/22/2009 - Windows 7 could get small businesses to buy new computers this year.
- Entrepreneurs Building iPhone Apps That Make Money - 10/21/2009 - Apple allows in-app purchases for free iPhone apps.
- Kanye West Alive, Victim of a Web Hoax - 10/21/2009 - Twitter fuels internet rumor that pop star died in a car crash.
- For entrepreneurs, choice is Mac or PC - 10/20/2009 - Apple announced a 47 percent growth in earnings, as iPhone and MacBook sales soared.
- Online giants Google, Facebook, Amazon support net neutrality - 10/19/2009 - CEOs from internet companies want an open internet to boost entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Microsoft Security Essentials eligible for home business use - 10/16/2009 - Entrepreneurs can use the free security software on home-based PCs without infringing copyrights.
- Steve Jobs is entrepreneur most admired by teens - 10/14/2009 - Jobs beats out Oprah, Tony Hawk and Facebook CEO Zuckerberg.
- Dell and Salesforce.com announce small business CRM - 10/13/2009 - Joint offering brings cloud computing customer relationship management.
- Microsoft to release Office 2010 Starter to replace Works - 10/9/2009 - The starter version of Office 2010 is free, but barebones.
- FCC Chairman Genachowski addresses CTIA on 'mobile broadband future' - 10/8/2009 - Mobile internet technologies should help the economy grow.
- Online software piracy hurting businesses - 10/8/2009 - Entrepreneurs should be wary of unlicensed software, group says.
- Small businesses feel invincible, yet are more vulnerable to cybercriminals - 10/1/2009 - Today's cyber crooks are counting on the fact that you think your business is relatively safe from online attacks.
- Chrome's third iteration not shiny enough for business use - 9/18/2009 - Although Chrome may ultimately become a standard online tool for SMBs, it's still not up to snuff in the areas of compatibility and customization.
- Salesforce.com helps businesses manage social networking, crowdsourcing - 9/11/2009 - With the new Salesforce.com Service Cloud, small businesses can manage their Twitter activity and crowdsourcing within their Force.com CRM platform.
- SMBs turn to SaaS to improve productivity, revenue - 9/9/2009 - Many small business owners are finding that software-as-a-service (SaaS) solutions help them increase their productivity and improve their bottom lines.
- Salesforce.com brings the cloud to small businesses, entrepreneurs - 9/4/2009 - Salesforce.com, a cloud-based CRM solution, announced this week a version of its software tailored for small businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Digital business cards: putting the 'networking' in 'social networking' - 9/3/2009 - A new niche market of "digital business cards" has become popular, using smartphone, social networking and USB technology.
- SMBs targeted by Eastern European cyber hackers - 8/28/2009 - SMBs have become increasingly popular targets of Eastern European cyber-gang hacking, a financial security industry group reported.
- Apple targets SMB owners in business themed iPhone apps - 7/31/2009 - Increasingly popular business-related iPhone applications allow small business owners to run their business wherever they go.
- SMBs look past recession to invest in IT - 7/6/2009 - In spite of widespread cost cutting measures, many SMBs are investing in IT priorities, a recent IBM study reports.
- Silicon Valley small business takes advantage of new technology - 7/1/2009 - By using a webcam and social media, Gourmet Gifts is able to show clients exactly what they're purchasing.
- Small businesses are not quite ready for cloud computing - 7/1/2009 - Most SMBs are still not comfortable with the new technology.
- Small businesses using outsourcing - 6/29/2009 - The employment method once used by only large corporations is increasingly used by small businesses.
- Smartphone apps helping small businesses - 6/23/2009 - A new app from Palm and Intuit helps entrepreneurs process credit cards from anywhere they can get a signal.
- Facebook URL change could help small businesses - 6/10/2009 - The addition of a username at the end of the URL will likely make it easier to find a business' Facebook page.
- AT&T offers 'All for Less' bundle for SMBs - 6/3/2009 - The company says the package of wired and wireless internet along with voice services is the first of its kind.
- AT&T unveils cloud storage service for small business - 5/18/2009 - New program meets business' demand for 24/7 access.
- SMBs may see some disadvantages to social networking - 5/15/2009 - Social networks can be a good small business tool, but they can have some negatives.
- Twitter can help small business sales - 5/14/2009 - Changes to Twitter good for SMBs.
- Small business wins $13 million government contract - 5/8/2009 - The need to digitize records helped one SMB get a multi-million dollar contract from the government.
- More SMBs using social networking - 4/28/2009 - Small business social networking is gaining in popularity. A new report from Discovers finds that many small business owners are tapping into social networking as a valuable business tool.
- Mixed IT spending patterns anticipated for small businesses - 4/23/2009 - A new survey finds that small business owners are optimistic about their future IT purchases despite the recession.
Additional Resources for Entrepreneurs